Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Gary Bickford <ga...@fxt.com> on 2000/09/06 22:35:09 UTC

About to build Slide

Folks,
I am in the process of trying to build Slide.  One thing that would make
life easier for folks would be to post the README on the website, so
folks know in advance what they have to do.

I plan to take notes on the process as I go for another purpose, so I
will post a summary when I get things running.  As I'm notorious for not
following through on vague promises, I won't promise to create a pretty
HTML version of a revised README at that time, but I will entertain the
possibility of all you folks nagging me in that direction when the time
comes.

I am going to use the 905 nightly build, and the latest versions of the
various prerequisites described in the README - is that reasonable?
GB

--
"We feel that this change will be sufficient to discourage "hackers",
although it is obviously insufficient to protect a node against a

Gary E Bickford, mailto:garyb-at-fxt.com.
Web and content/asset management systems, PHP, XML, Apache, SQL
FXT Corp, http://www.fxt.com, tel. 541-383-2749

Associate needed.

Posted by Gary Bickford <ga...@fxt.com>.
OK Dave, Remy et al,

Here's the deal.  Some of y'all know a lot more about this than I do.  I'm just a poor
PHP-hacker diving into a new pond.

I have to provide a not-to-exceed price for this project (in phases) ASAP.  Since I'm
Java-naive, I've decided to minimize my risk by asking folks on this list to work for
me on the project, both in the planning stages (due 2 weeks ago) and at least phase 1
(the image database system) (hopefully we can have this completed in early October.)
All relevant code resulting will be available to be contributed (in a sanitized form)
to the community.

So, if anyone on this list believes they can help finalize the architecture and design
=> the no. of hours to get the system built, I will sub out a significant part of the
project.  Email me back privately if you're interested.  I really, really need someone
who knows this environment and the Java side in particular well enough to bang this
out without a lot of searching.

The only catch is this: once they see the cost, they may still opt for a commercial
package.  If so, I'll get paid for the work it took to get the design done, and you'll
get paid according to hours and rates we agree on for just that work.

If we can do this, then we'll have a good start at building the media asset management
system we've been talking about.  I still like the name Pixie :O) - any comments?
Gary B

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by dave <da...@miceda-data.com>.

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Gary Bickford <ga...@fxt.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > Slide depends on Ant, Tomcat, and several Jakarta tools (for source build
> only?)
>
> It has minimal dependencies at run time :
> - JAXP (and a JAXP implementation)
> - A servlet 2.2 compliant engine to run the Slide WAR archive

OK, let's assume I'm starting totally from scratch - well not quite.  My
(linux) machine has JDK1.1.7 on it, but that's not new enough.

So I need to do the following, assuming I'm staying with binaries.

  1. Download and install java 2 SDK Standard Edition 1.3.0 from
     http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/ (requires registration and license
     acceptance) - this is a 25 MB download, but can also be downloaded as a
     bunch of 1.4MB files.
  2. Download and install JAXP from http://java.sun.com/xml/download.html
     (I think also requires the same regstration, but I forgot now) - this
     includes the reference implementation.  Installation notes are at
     http://java.sun.com/xml/install.html.  This is an 857K download.
  3. Servlet Engine - that would be Tomcat.  Download and install Tomcat from
     http://jakarta.apache.org/downloads/binindex.html or
     http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1/bin/

I'm done with 2 and 3, finishing 1 now.  Then I'll do the install/test cycle
for each one in turn.  Since I haven't used java on this machine yet, I'll also
have to make classpath etc. work correctly, which always seems to stump me.
 I'll post any changes or additions here as well.
GB

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Posted by Gary Bickford <ga...@fxt.com>.

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> [...]

and Xerces underneath, to perform XSLT transformations on my input pages.  I
think the Velocity guys are using Stylebook, which I've never been able to find
any documentation or source code for -- and, because of Ant, I don't need to
worry about it.

> So, to summarize a bit : it's a very good idea, it will probably happen, but
> not right now.
>
> The site update will probably use the Struts and Velocity look and feel.
> Laurie : I plan to include the documentation, as well as the content for the
> Slide Guide website, bacause I think it's very helpful.

Remy, there's also information in BC Holmes's site about Slide that probably
belongs here as well:

    http://www.interlog.com/~bcholmes/geek/slide-home.html

> Remy

Craig

====================
                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Gary Bickford <ga...@fxt.com>.
Hmm...

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Laurie Harper <zo...@holoweb.net>.

Re: About to build Slide

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> I am in the process of trying to build Slide.  One thing that would make
> life easier for folks would be to post the README on the website, so
> folks know in advance what they have to do.

I will do a site update at some point in the near future. I don't have time
to do that right now, unfortunately, for a variety of personal reasons.
I also plan to move the Slide Guide to the main site, since I got a request
about that from various PMC members. BC, is it ok with you ?

> I plan to take notes on the process as I go for another purpose, so I
> will post a summary when I get things running.  As I'm notorious for not
> following through on vague promises, I won't promise to create a pretty
> HTML version of a revised README at that time, but I will entertain the
> possibility of all you folks nagging me in that direction when the time
> comes.

There are not many requirements to build Slide.
The basic build (build main) only requires JAXP (and Ant, which already
needs JAXP).
The release option, which would produce the nightly build packaging,
requires a compiled Tomcat 4.0 and (that's the hardest part) a XSL enabled
build of Ant (otherwise, the <style> taskdef will generate an error and the
build will fail).

> I am going to use the 905 nightly build, and the latest versions of the
> various prerequisites described in the README - is that reasonable?

I think so.

Remy