Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Stern <st...@hotmail.com> on 2004/05/12 13:09:03 UTC

SSL_CLIENT_S_DN and proxy

When using Apache as a proxy:
  ( brower  --https-->  Apache + mod_proxy  --https-->  Web server )
the Web server never receives the user's certificate info, because only the
proxy is seen by the Web server. That means that all headers SSL_CLIENT_*
contain the proxy certificate info, not the user certificate info.

Is there a way to get the user's certificate info ?
Otherwise, I propose to add (at least) a header containing the client
Distinguish Name (something like SSL_REMOTE_CLIENT_S_DN ?).

This value should be passed without modification through all proxies.
As the client could spoof it, we also need a parameter to explicitely state
that we accept the given header; if not, we overwrite it.

Does this sound reasonable ?

Marc

Re: SSL_CLIENT_S_DN and proxy

Posted by Marc Stern <st...@hotmail.com>.
>From what I understand - and it seems confirmed by the test I made - the
header is modified (created) before Apache populates the value.
I tried with the header HTTP_HOST "RequestHeader set X-HOST %{HTTP_HOST}e)",
and the header is created, but empty.

Is the same feature available, but at the end of the treatment ?

Marc

Re: SSL_CLIENT_S_DN and proxy

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.