Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/09 08:59:58 UTC

Ability to dynamically define endpoints

This is a requirement we have in the WSO2 Load Balancer which uses Synapse.
At present, endpoints cannot be defined externally we are forced to use the
predefined endpoint sets. However, we require a special endpoint which does
stuff specific to our setup. How easy or difficult is it to change Synapse
to do this?

Thanks
Azeez
*
*

Re: Ability to dynamically define endpoints

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the idea. This has being something we have thought of implementing
at various times. But there are some subtle changes required in synapse to
achieve the full benefit of this. But I think it can be done without any
issues.

Thanks,
Supun..

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a requirement we have in the WSO2 Load Balancer which uses
>> Synapse. At present, endpoints cannot be defined externally we are forced
>> to use the predefined endpoint sets. However, we require a special endpoint
>> which does stuff specific to our setup. How easy or difficult is it to
>> change Synapse to do this?
>

> Not sure about the complexity. But +1 for the idea. So far we haven't
> treated endpoints as an extension point in Synapse. What you're suggesting
> is to make it into an extension point. I generally like the idea of having
> the ability to control/extend this kind of things.
>
> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>

>> Thanks
>> Azeez
>> *
>> *
>>

> --
> Hiranya Jayathilaka
> Associate Technical Lead;
> WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
> E-mail: hiranya@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491

Supun Kamburugamuva
E-mail: supun06@gmail.com <su...@wso2.com>;  Mobile: +94 77 431 3585
Blog: http://supunk.blogspot.com

Re: Ability to dynamically define endpoints

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Associate Technical Lead;

Re: Ability to dynamically define endpoints

Posted by Udayanga Wickramasinghe <ud...@wso2.com>.
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

> May be using a service providers is not a good idea. Lately we have not
> used this approach for registering things because of its sun specific
> nature. We use the synapse.properties file for registering the XPath
> extensions. It is a best place for placing this kind of extensions because
> we are not going to develop lot of endpoints like we do for mediators.

+1
yes seems like synapse.properties is the better option of the two....

Regards,
udayanga
--
*Udayanga Wickramasinghe*
Software Engineer; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com,

Re: Ability to dynamically define endpoints

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
May be a delegating endpoint (similar to the class mediator) is a better
approach?

Thanks,
Hiranya

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Associate Technical Lead;

Re: Ability to dynamically define endpoints

Posted by indika kumara <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kasun Indrasiri <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

<hi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> May be using a service providers is not a good idea. Lately we have not
>> used this approach for registering things because of its sun specific
>> nature. We use the synapse.properties file for registering the XPath
>> extensions. It is a best place for placing this kind of extensions because
>> we are not going to develop lot of endpoints like we do for mediators.
>>

> +1
>
> We should look for a simple and open way of registering endpoints (and
> mediators) as Java extensions.
>
> Thanks,
> Hiranya
>

>> Thanks,
>> Supun..
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Udayanga Wickramasinghe <
>> udayanga@wso2.com> wrote:

>>> +1
>>> one option is to use Java *Service providers  to register endpoint
>>> factories*/serializers.  This approach is currently have been used for
>>> pluggin in external  mediators
>>> Regards,
>>> udayanga

>>> --
>>> *Udayanga Wickramasinghe*
>>> Software Engineer; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com,
>>> *email: **udayanga@wso2.com* <ud...@wso2.com>* cell: +94 (77)
>>> 983-4365
>>> blog: **http://udayangawiki.blogspot.com*<http://udayangawiki.blogspot.com/>
>>> *
>>> twitter: **http://twitter.com/udayanga_wick*<http://twitter.com/udayanga_wick>
>>> *
>>> *
>>>

>> --
>> Supun Kamburugamuva
>> Member, Apache Software Foundation; http://www.apache.org
>> E-mail: supun06@gmail.com <su...@wso2.com>;  Mobile: +94 77 431 3585
>> Blog: http://supunk.blogspot.com
>>

> --
> Hiranya Jayathilaka
> Associate Technical Lead;
> WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org
> E-mail: hiranya@wso2.com;  Mobile: +94 77 633 3491

Kasun Indrasiri
Associate Technical Lead,
WSO2 Inc. - "Lean . Enterprise . Middleware" - http://www.wso2.com/
Blog : http://kasunpanorama.blogspot.com/

Re: Ability to dynamically define endpoints

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by indika kumara <in...@gmail.com>.
+1

~ Indika