Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Ethan Setnik <et...@mobileaware.com> on 2014/02/21 23:27:17 UTC

Samza Highly Available YARN Configuration

I'm looking to deploy Samza on AWS infrastructure in a HA configuration.  I
have a clear picture of how to configure all the components such that they
do not contain any single point of failure.

I'm stuck, however, when it comes to the YARN architecture.  It seems that
YARN relies on the single-master / multi-slave pattern as described in the
YARN documentation.  This introduces a single point of failure at the
ResourceManager level such that a failed ResourceManager will fail the
entire YARN cluster.  How does LinkedIn architect a HA configuration for
Samza on YARN such that a complete instance failure of ResourceManager
provides failover for the YARN cluster?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Ethan

--
Ethan Setnik
MobileAware

m: +1 617 513 2052
e: ethan.setnik@mobileaware.com

Re: Samza Highly Available YARN Configuration

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Chris,

Since 2.3, the basic features of HA should already be available, such as
ZK-backed stuff. 2.4 is not adding major new features for HA, but
stabilizing it. I'm not closely watching on the progress at HA, but AFAIK,
a lot of effort is put on making user-faced APIs to work seamlessly while
RM fails over, improving the configuration, RM web UI and web services
redirection, RM failover issues on secured cluster and so on. I haven't
follow the CHD modifications.

- Zhijie

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Samza Highly Available YARN Configuration

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@linkedin.com>.
Hey Zhijie,

Posted by Zhijie Shen <zs...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Zhijie Shen
Hortonworks Inc.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Samza Highly Available YARN Configuration

Posted by Dan Di Spaltro <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yan Fang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Yan Fang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@linkedin.com>.
Hey Yan,

Posted by Yan Fang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Happy daylight saving! I am wondering if anyone in this mailing-list has
successfully run the Samza in a HA YARN cluster ?

We are trying to run Samza in CDH5 which has HA YARN configurations. I am
able to run Samza only by updating the yarn-default.xml (change
yarn.resourcemanager.address), the same approach Nirmal Kumar mentioned in
"Running Samza on multi node". Otherwise, it will always connect to 0.0.0.0
in yarn-default.xml. (I am sure I set the conf file and YARN_HOME
correctly.)

So my question is:
1. Can't Samza interpret HA YARN configuration file correctly? ( Is that
because the HA YARN configuration is using, say,
yarn.resourcemanager.address.*rm15* instead of yarn.resourcemanager.address
?)

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@linkedin.com>.
Hey Ethan,