Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Mario Siegenthaler <ms...@inventsoft.ch> on 2007/08/20 00:05:20 UTC

JMSXGroupID and un-acked-messages

hi guys
What's the expected behavior with messages that are not ack'ed (for
example because the MessageListener throws an exception or the
transaction is rolled back) and have a JMSXGroupID set?

Say we've two messages A and B that belong to the same message group.
 1) Processing of A fails. The consumer runs out of messages (until a
call to recover) and enters a wait state.
 2) Processing of A fails. The consumer receives B. The consumer is
restarted or recover is called and it received A. This violates the
message ordering within the message group!
 3) Something I didn't think of :)

The reason I'm asking is that we need to be absolutely sure that the
message processing within one message group occurs strictly in the
correct order, even if some messages have to be processed twice.

Thanks
Mario

Re: JMSXGroupID and un-acked-messages

Posted by Matt23 <ju...@wideopenwest.com>.
I'm also interested in this behavior. Also, I'm interested to what happens to
the message group if the 2nd message of a group of 5 messages is sent to the
dead letter queue. Are the rest of the messages processed in order and break
the message group ordering? My tests show this is what happens. I haven't
found much information regarding message groups and redelivery behavior. Is
there some configuration option to send the whole message group to the dead
letter queue?

Thanks,
Matt