Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Eric Wood <er...@interplas.com> on 2005/05/20 04:26:52 UTC

--lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

On Fedora Core 1, I have:

# rpm -q spamassassin
spamassassin-3.0.3-1.1.fc1.rf

# rpm -q perl
perl-5.8.3-16

Should I be concerned with the following warnings:
# spamassassin --lint
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
       LANGUAGE = (unset),
       LC_ALL = (unset),
       LANG = "c"
Net::DNS version is 0.31, but need 0.34dnsavailable-1 at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 1230.

Does this mean I should update my perl packages in order to run the newer
spamassassin?
-eric wood

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Bookworm <qm...@bkwm.com>.
Tim Jackson wrote:

>On Fri, 20 May 2005 20:48:26 -0400
>"Eric Wood" <er...@interplas.com> wrote:
>
>[on Fedora Core 1]
>

>>>2.  What is the easiest way to update Net::DNS to 0.34 ?
>>>

>>This was very easy:
>>       perl -MCPAN -e shell                    [as root]
>>       o conf prerequisites_policy ask
>>       install Net::DNS
>>       quit
>>

>Whilst certainly a *quick* way of updating, I think it's worth
>pointing out that this is not a very *good* way of updating Perl modules
>on an RPM-based system such as Fedora, unless you particularly enjoy
>painful and unpredictable system management in future. I'd suggest
>either using an RPM- based distro and installing everything as RPMs, or
>using a non-package-based distro and installing everything from source;
>doing a mixture of both will lead to pain in the future when you have
>RPM telling you version 'X' of something is installed, but in fact
>you've manually obliterated it with version 'Y'. Especially when you're
>trying to install an RPM-based package that requires 'Y' and you then
>have to start forcing installs etc. - it just makes the whole RPM
>thing mostly pointless.
>
>A better way is to use cpan2rpm to package the CPAN module as an RPM
>for you:
>
>http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/
>
>Once installed, it's as simple as "cpan2rpm Net::DNS" and bingo - you
>have a nice package.
>

>Tim

Yes, this exact problem is why I prefer to stick with Slackware.  I
administer RedHat and FreeBSD boxes, and they are both REALLY painful to
keep updated, especially since I have a number of packages I do
specialized compile options for - and need to keep updated.

I also agree with Tim - don't use straight CPAN unless that's the only
way you're going to keep those modules up to date (which is generally
what I do.  Since the bulk of those modules are only used by
SpamAssassin (for me), I simply run the updates at the same time as the
SA updates).   Use RPM's/packages instead.

BW

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Tim Jackson <li...@timj.co.uk>.

Posted by Eric Wood <er...@interplas.com>.
Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:08:05AM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> It might make sense to turn some of those optional-but-recommended
> dependencies into requirements, in packages for platforms where
> apt-get-style systems are available; if the user doesn't have to
> do additional work to get them, then we should get them by default.

As I was saying, that's up to the distro people to figure out.  If they make
available appropriate revisions of different modules, they can update the spec
file appropriately.

We can't really guess what resources people have available.
apt-get/up2date/yum/etc may not be used.  In this case, I can build RPM
for most any platform, it's a package management system, not a package
distribution system.  ;)

The argument is basically: make it easier for users.  Which is a good
goal, but think about this scenario:  We suggest people build their own
RPMs from our source, they try and find that Net::DNS 0.34 is required,
but their (choosing details randomly) Fedora Core 1 distro only includes
0.31.  Now what?  We've just made their lives more difficult.

I'd rather have SA install and function, and then if people want to
enable extra functionality they jump through hoops then having them do
the hoops to use SA at all.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Bender: "Aw, I think I got whiplash."

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> There doesn't seem
> to be a way to say "if perl(Net::DNS) is installed, require version 0.34
or
> higher".

Which begins to make me wonder - why NOT require net::dns for SA, at least
as far as the install goes?  Is it that huge a package?  If the user isn't
going to use it, how much have they lost by being required to install it
somewhere?

        Loren

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:35:01PM -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> Your correct.  It's the only spamassassin-3x rpm I could find on the net at:
> http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

I'd just build it yourself.  Docs are on the wiki/download page (iirc).

> doesn't really check for specific perl modules.  Maybe the spamassassin
> package maintainers might need to be informed.

Yeah, this comes up periodically.  Since Net::DNS isn't required for SA
operation, it's not listed as required in the spec file.  There doesn't seem
to be a way to say "if perl(Net::DNS) is installed, require version 0.34 or
higher".

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
There are perfectly good answers to those questions, but they'll have
 to wait for another night.

 		-- Homer Simpson
 		   Homers Barbershop Quartet

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Eric Wood <er...@interplas.com>.
Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 10:38:58PM -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> I'm not a perl guru so my natural fear is that I'm going to be trapped
> doing any endless amount of perl updates just for this one problem.
> Hopefully only this rpm is needed.  Here I go....

The INSTALL doc in the tarball has a list of the required and optional modules
and what versions are necessary.

If you installed the RPM as provided by a distribution, they should have
included the proper versions of the other modules as well.  If they didn't,
you should let them know to update their packages.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Love isn't hopeless.  Look, maybe I'm no expert on the subject, but there
 was one time I got it right.

 		-- Homer Simpson
 		   Another Simpson's Clip Show

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Eric Wood <er...@interplas.com>.
Posted by Eric Wood <er...@interplas.com>.
> Yes.  0.34 is necessary for SpamAssassin 3.0.

Great.

Okay, I think the specific package is:
# rpm -q perl-Net-DNS
perl-Net-DNS-0.31-3.2

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 10:26:52PM -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> Net::DNS version is 0.31, but need 0.34dnsavailable-1 at
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 1230.
>
> Does this mean I should update my perl packages in order to run the newer
> spamassassin?

Yes.  0.34 is necessary for SpamAssassin 3.0.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
System going down at 5 this afternoon to install scheduler bug.