Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sarkar, Sudipta" <Su...@workscape.com> on 2002/08/29 00:50:53 UTC

Session Tracking cookie

Hi,
   I am using Tocat 3.2.1 on Win 2000. As Tomcat uses a cookie name JSESSIONID to track httpsession, is there any way to change the name of this cookie.
Thanks
Sudipta Sarkar
Systems Consultant
Emerald Implementation Team
Workscape Inc.
703 798 4278 (Cell)

Re: Session Tracking cookie

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Sarkar, Sudipta wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am using Tocat 3.2.1 on Win 2000. As Tomcat uses a cookie name
> JSESSIONID to track httpsession, is there any way to change the name
> of this cookie.

I don't think so.  But why would you want to?

(Well, actually, you probably could, but you'd have to hack the source
code; and it's probably not a good idea all around.)

In very early versions of the spec, the name of the session cookie was
not mandated.  At some point, I don't recall, maybe 2.0, it was
mandated.  And that's probably a good thing -- it makes things clearer
and more portable.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)