Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM> on 2009/07/17 12:28:18 UTC

Updating a bundle in STARTING state

What should be the behavior when a bundle gets updated in STARTINg
state. e.g, say a bundle tries to update itself in its own
Bundle-Activator's start() method.

I tried with a simple example and got the following exception:
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle
sahoo.osgi-tests.bundle-self-start [7] cannot be update, since it is
either starting or stopping.
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.updateBundle(Felix.java:1536)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.update(BundleImpl.java:792)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.update(BundleImpl.java:779)
        at sahoo.osgitest1.Foo.start(Foo.java:63)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAction.java:589)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1458)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:774)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:755)
        at
org.apache.felix.fileinstall.DirectoryWatcher.start(DirectoryWatcher.java:751)
        at
org.apache.felix.fileinstall.DirectoryWatcher.startAllBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:771)
        at
org.apache.felix.fileinstall.DirectoryWatcher.doInstalled(DirectoryWatcher.java:354)
        at
org.apache.felix.fileinstall.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:120)

But, the spec suggests (see javadocs of update()) that it is OK to
update a bundle in STARTING state.

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: Updating a bundle in STARTING state

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
I think the spec says the framework should wait when it performs a stop
on a STARTING bundle, but it is acceptable to timeout. Felix essentially
has an immediate timeout, i.e., it throws an exception immediately.

-> richard

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
No, I never got any reply. Not sure what happened, but I do see your
reply in nabble.com:

http://www.nabble.com/Updating-a-bundle-in-STARTING-state-tt24532030.html#a24532030
.

Would you mind resending it so that I can reply, otherwise my reply will
look out of context?

Thanks,
Sahoo

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.