Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com> on 2002/08/12 15:27:41 UTC

Re: Mixing TOMCAT and mod_perl sessions

What you could do is write an Apache::Session driver that instead of
storing to a file, passes the session id as a call to a web service that
gets and sets session data using parameters sent to a servlet running in
the same context as the sessions where your Java servlets/JSPs run.

I've not done it, but I think it would be awesome if sessions could be
shared between Java Servlets and Perl. We have a lot of apps written in
both technologies ourselves (banking in Java, portal stuff in Perl)

I don't think doing this would be too hard.

Later,
    Gunther

At 08:36 PM 8/12/2002, Yair Lenga wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>The website I'm supporting is running both TOMCAT applications ('.war'),
>and has mod_perl scripts (all of them are registry - CGI scripts). I have
>the following requirements:
>    * The user identification information must be shared between TOMCAT
> and mod_perl (so that the user does not need to login twice).
>    * No data sharing between mod_perl and TOMCAT application - but each
> of them need to store some persistent data.
>    * Session should be persistent across server restarts (which excludes
> shared memory based solutions).
>I'm currently using 'home-grown' session management, where each session is
>represented as a file. Both TOMCAT (4.0.4), and mod_perl (Apache::Session)
>can serialize session state. Can anyone suggest a smart way to get the two
>to work together - at minimum, I need to be able to create and destroy
>sessions, and to have the user id shared between the two. Preferably,
>using files (and not mysql).
>
>Thanks,
>Yair Lenga

Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieks@eXtropia.com)
eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company
http://www.eXtropia.com/
Office: (65) 64791172 Mobile: (65) 96218290