Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Canderan <dc...@dcbuddy.com> on 2005/05/27 06:07:00 UTC

[users@httpd] access to user directories

Hello apache users,

            I have apache2.0.52 installed and running on a Fedora server.
It works fine with the web site at /var/www/html  (the server's web site)

However, I can not get it to deliver web pages for users.  I am storing the
html pages at /home/<user>/public_html, and I am quite sure that the file
permissions are set correctly.  I have also set "UserDir pubic_html" in
httpd.conf.

However, I continue to get the error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~<user> on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
ErrorDocument to handle the request.

  _____

Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora) Server at <IP address> Port 80

Can anyone provide me with some suggestions?  Is there another config file
that I need to change?:   Please help !

Thanks,

John

RE: [users@httpd] access to user directories

Posted by John Canderan <dc...@dcbuddy.com>.
Davide,
	Thanks for your suggestions.
However, I do have an index.html file in the public_html directory, and
I'm quite sure that the permissions are set as they are supposed to be.

	I also do have the <Directory ...  block that you suggested, as
follows:
<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Limit>
    <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
    </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

Is there something wrong with this particular block?  It's the one
suggested for "read-only", by default.

But, I still get the error as stated previously.

I'm perplexed !

Hope someone can figure this out.

Thanks again,
John