Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Derek Scherger <de...@echologic.com> on 2004/04/08 07:20:24 UTC

struts-el tags bean info implementation

I have a question about the current (beaninfo) implementation of the el tags, hopefully
this is the right place to be asking!

Rather than using an additional beaninfo class for each ELFooTag class would it not be
simpler for the ELFooTag classes to override the setFoo methods of the associated FooTag
class they are extending?

i.e.

in FooTag we have an attribute foo with setFoo and getFoo methods

currently in ELFooTag we have an additional attribute fooExpr with setFooExpr and
getFooExpr methods and an associated beaninfo class to map calls to setFoo into calls to
setFooExpr

alternatively in ELFooTag we could include fooExpr as it currently exists but simply
override setFoo so that it instead sets fooExpr and then rely on the current
evaluateExpressions method to compute the current value and call super.setFoo() with the
evaluated value.

I ask for two reasons: First, the alternative approach seems somewhat simpler (i.e. 50%
fewer classes with the removal of the beaninfo's). Second, because I'm using a broken app
server (not by choice) that doesn't process the beaninfo classes properly (if it processes
them at all) and the alternative (overridden method) implementation does seem to work.

I've hacked in overriding setFoo methods and associated super.setFoo calls in
evaluateExpressions in a couple of test cases and it seems to work in my broken app server
at least.

Thanks for any info!
--
Cheers,