Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2009/02/11 00:03:47 UTC

[net] +=DNS ...?

over in james, we have some useful DNS client code. sufficiently useful
for the qpid to enquire about the possibility of sharing it:
http://markmail.org/thread/u4n4q5f2q7wyq2vf. i think it should probably
be in scope for commons-net, though DNS is not (at the moment) a
supported protocol.

there are some wrinkles (aren't there always?) in that the code in
question has been rewritten for 3.x to use a separate DNS service to
avoid know limitations of the java DNS client implementation. it uses
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dnsjava/ (unfortunately this isn't very
actively maintained).

but the 2.x version is solid enough and is very suitable for a
microlibrary

i'd be willing to help out (if that'd be helpful) and possible a few
other committers from james and qpid may be willing to help maintain
this code as well.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [net] +=DNS ...?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you mean a CIDR calculator?
>
> If so, I put a rudimentary implementation into [net] 2.0 last year.

Sorry for instigating this and then dropping it on the floor, Qpid 0.5
has eaten my brain.

Yes, we were talking about a CIDR calculator. The next Qpid release is
still using the code I lifted from JAMES. I'll change to use the one
in commons-net during our next release cycle.

Thanks, hope this ties up the dangling thread.

- Aidan
http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [net] +=DNS ...?

Posted by Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com>.
Do you mean a CIDR calculator?

If so, I put a rudimentary implementation into [net] 2.0 last year.

See the implementation here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/net/util/SubnetUtils.java?revision=740965&view=markup

And example usage:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/net/branches/NET_2_0/src/main/java/examples/SubnetUtilsExample.java?revision=658518&view=markup

Is that what you mean?

Rory

Re: [net] +=DNS ...?

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <io...@bago.org>.

Re: [net] +=DNS ...?

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Rory Winston <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds great .... a DNS client was one area I felt could be added to [net]
> for a while now (the other being ssh/scp support).

It's not really a DNS client (although java DNS is notoriously
broken), the code is really a netmask calculator for both dotted quad
pairs and CIDR notations and a matcher for asking "is this IP within
this netblock?". It currently uses a DNS client so you can pass in
hostname but there's been some discussion about just changing to to
InetAddress, I'm trying this out in Qpid.

> Can you point me to the existing client code in james?

The james code I lifted is at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/branches/next-minor/src/java/org/apache/james/util/NetMatcher.java
and I'm hacking on it at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk/qpid/java/common/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/util/NetMatcher.java