Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by RB...@safehorizon.org on 2004/06/18 19:09:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Domain redirect with browser location change

Hi there!

I'm having an issue with our apache config.  Like any business, we
registered multiple domains.  In particular, we renamed our company
recently and registered a new domain to match the new company name.  Now,
what we want is for all visitors to our web site to be sent to our current
home page instead of whatever location they typed in their browser.

For instance... our main address that we want everyone to use is:

http://www.safehorizon.org

But, we used to be called Victim Services.  So, we still get a lot of
people going to:

http://www.victimservices.org

But, that site no longer exists and the new site is entirely different.
So, no URL with the victimservices.org domain is valid.  Hence, we want any
visitor to www.victimservices.org to be redirected to
http://www.safehorizon.org.

This could be accomplished with a simple ServerAlias, but we want our
visitors to remember our new name, so we want the location in their browser
to be changed to http://www.safehorizon.org.

So, what I need to know is how can we configure Apache to:

1) accept requests to safehorizon.org, and respond with the appropriate
page (i.e. a link to http://safehorizon.org/mypage.html would result in the
browser being sent to http://safehorizon.org/mypage.html, the exact same
page).

2) accept requests to www.safehorizon.org, and respond with the appropriate
page (i.e. a link to http://www.safehorizon.org/mypage.html would result in
the browser being sent to http://www.safehorizon.org/mypage.html, the exact
same page).

3) accept any other domain (like victimservices.org), but redirect the
browser to http://www.safehorizon.org/ (our home page) with the location
displayed in the browser being changed as well.

Is this possible? It seems like a common enough issue, but I can't find any
documentation that specifies this particular scenario and I'm not enough of
an Apache expert to come up with it on my own.

Any help is appreciated!  Thanks!

Rich Baker
 Web Administrator
Safe Horizon

Re: [users@httpd] Domain redirect with browser location change

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 RBaker@safehorizon.org wrote:
> I'm having an issue with our apache config.  Like any business, we
> registered multiple domains.  In particular, we renamed our company
> recently and registered a new domain to match the new company name.  Now,
> what we want is for all visitors to our web site to be sent to our current
> home page instead of whatever location they typed in their browser.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#canonical-hostnames

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Dynamic Modules, Shared Objects.

Posted by Craig Harding <ch...@mun.ca>.
Since no one responded, just wondering if someone knows where I could
find out about this question?