Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2015/02/12 23:42:04 UTC

VOTE: RC0 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-5.0.pdf

Please vote to release the following artifact as the "Apache Solr
Reference Guide for Solr 5.0" ...

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-5.0-RC0/

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: VOTE: RC0 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-5.0.pdf

Posted by Tomás Fernández Löbbe <to...@gmail.com>.
In suggesters, it says that the field needs to be indexed, but really it
needs to be stored. I'll change that.
I would also like to warn users that when using "buildOnCommit" or
"buildOnOptimize", the suggester build may take a long time, making the
commit itself take too long. This definitely doesn't play along very well
with an autoSoftCommit of a couple of seconds.

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>     Warning box
>>        "If you are still using the SpellCheckComponent-based approach, we
>> recommend
>>         changing to the SuggestComponent instead. However, the below
>> snippet from
>>         solrconfig.xml that shows how to configure s olrconfig.xml to use
>> the
>>         SpellCheckComponent.” <- “that” is extraneous and breaks the 2nd
>> sentence.
>>         (fixed already)
>>
>> Query Re-Ranking
>>     Result Paging With Query Re-Ranking
>>         Too much vertical blank space around code boxes
>>
>> Suggester
>>     'solr -e techproducts -a “-Dsolr.suggester.enabled=true”’ <- the ‘-a’
>> is no longer necessary
>>
>> Collapse and Expand Results
>>     Too much vertical blank space above “The CollapsingQParserPlugin
>> fully supports the QueryElevationComponent.”
>>

>> Configuring solrconfig.xml
>>     Managed Schema Definition in SolrConfig
>>         Should not be monospace: 'By default, if no schemaFactory is
>> specified, then
>>             the default behavior is to use the
>> "ClassicIndexSchemaFactory" as in this example
>>             from the sample_techproducts_configs config set:'
>>
>> CoreAdmin API
>>     SPLIT
>>         Large font: "Here the core index will be split into two pieces…”
>>
>> Configuring Logging
>>     Both screenshot have the old Solr logo.
>>     Large font: "By default, Solr log messages will be written to
>> server/logs/solr.log…”
>>     Large font: "While you’re customizing the log4j.properties file, we
>> also recommend…”
>>
>> Running Solr on HDFS
>>     Kerberos Authentication Settings
>>         Description is grayed out for
>> solr.hdfs.security.kerberos.keytabfile
>>
>> Configuring statsCache implementation
>>     Large font: "ExactStatsCache: This implementation uses global values
>> for…"
>>
>> ZooKeeper ensemble
>>     Using ZooKeeper to Manage Configuration Files
>>         Large font: "The create command will upload a copy of the
>> data_driven_schema_configs…”
>>         Startup Bootstrap
>>             Too much vertical blank space after code box “$ bin/solr -e
>> cloud -noprompt”
>>
>> Collections API
>>     API Entry Points
>>         Create a Collection
>>             The link includes unnecessary spaces, mostly around
>> italicized parts
>>         Delete Replica Property
>>             Link should have italicized template values but doesn’t
>>         Balance a property, one per shard, evenly across a collection’s
>> nodes
>>             Link should be monospace, with italicized template values
>>     Large font: Asynchronous Calls
>>     Parameter Reference
>>         SolrCloud Instance Parameters
>>             grayed-out text in description of hostPort
>>
>> Major Changes from Solr 4 to Solr 5
>>     Extra vertical space at the bottom of the page

Anshum Gupta
http://about.me/anshumgupta

Re: VOTE: RC0 Release apache-solr-ref-guide-5.0.pdf

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
A few comments:

Getting started/Installing Solr:
* Strange language in first paragraph "You can install Solr anywhere that a suitable Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is available..."
* This sentence can be removed now that SOLR-6693 is fixed: "On Windows, we recommend extracting Solr to a directory that does not contain spaces, such as C:\Apps."

Running Solr:
* This sentence "If you are running Windows, you can start the Web server by running..." -- solr is not a web server
* No need to spell out "C:\Applications\Solr\bin\solr.cmd start" when "bin\solr.cmd start" is sufficient (Windows will even resolve solr to solr.cmd)

All of these are minor, no respin needed

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com