Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Roberto Rossi <ro...@cone.it> on 2009/05/12 15:16:06 UTC

strange Jetspeed heap usage

I'd like to share with you my personal Jetspeed 2.1.3 heap usage
analysis.

After Jetspeed startup (together with j2-admin web app and another our
internal web app), I found a strange heap usage graph (through JConsole)
even without no requests being processed.
The Heap starts from 40Mb about, then it increases regularly to 70Mb
about. At this point a PSYoungGen brings it back to 40Mb about.
This routine executes forever even if no requests are processed by the
portal.

Is it a normal Jetspeed behaviour or is it a particular issue?
In the past, I found  another user talking about this issue but no one
explained him the reason (http://markmail.org/search/?q=jetspeed+idle
+heap#query:jetspeed%20idle%20heap+page:1+mid:qi2fgmsz2mw7lfw5
+state:results).
I can send you a png image showing this.

Roberto

Re: strange Jetspeed heap usage

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Roberto,

We have been load testing 2.1.3 and 2.2, but not necessarily letting
them sit idle. So, I cannot really verify what you are seeing. However,
there are plenty of potential sources of this behavior. One that comes
to mind is the PAM which monitors portlet applications for deployment
changes. There are also background processes to manage internal caches.
However, with these things, its almost always something one would not
initially expect.

I would assume you are seeing real behavior and not something unique.
Further research would be required to know for sure, hence the JIRA issue.

Randy

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Roberto,

Please file a JIRA issue with your observations since we are making a
concerted effort to clean up Jetspeed's memory usage and footprint. It
would be a handy place to submit your graph to us. It would be most
helpful if you could do the same for 2.2 if you have time to test there
as well.

Also, please note that a cache reporting portlet has been added to
Jetspeed administrative pages so that you can examine the current cache
counts and memory usage. That is available in the latest version of
2.1.3 post branch and 2.2 trunk.

Thanks,

Randy