Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by boy sloven <sl...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2004/10/08 10:37:27 UTC

Re: About Jython as a script language

Hi sebb
Thanks for you reply.
Is there some examples to run HTTP test using
BeanShell Sampler?

I read the JMeter Wiki and part of the source code,
but couldn't find a example.

I can use the existing HTTP Sampler. it is more
flexible to record a test script as a script language
for example beanshell or Jython.

Is there a plan to build a BeanShell recorder or the
like ?

BTW, I have translate part of the JMeter website, see
here, http://www.bonoy.com/jmeter

And, I also localized part of the JMeter, when
finished, I want to add it to the release. Can you
help me ?

Best

=====
MyBlog  : http://slovenboy.blogdriver.com/
BonoyQA : http://www.bonoy.com/
JMeter  : http://www.bonoy.com/jmeter/

Re: About Jython as a script language

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:55:03 +0800 (CST), boy sloven
<sl...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,

> > sloven
> > > The JMeter Proxy could record HTTP session only.
> > > I want to do more.
> >
> > Such as?
> >
> For example, record EJB, record FTP

To test EJBs with JMeter means using HTTP, surely?
There is already a recorder for HTTP - the Proxy Server.

Can't see the point of recording FTP myself, as the work needed to
create the test element is similar to the work needed to run the FTP
session.

> > > Do you think it is possible to translate .jmx file
> > > a beanshell script or the like ?
> >
> > I don't understand why you would want to do this, as
> > JMeter already
> > understands JMX files.
> >
> JMX file is not like a script, it is a configuration
> file, I think.

I would say that it is partly configuration, and partly script.
The JMX file is used to build the Test Plan which is then
"interpreted" by the JMeter code.

> > And if the JMX script was translated into BeanShell,
> > it seems to me
> > that JMeter would no longer be needed...
> >
> > I just don't understand what you are trying to do.
> > Perhaps you could
> > give some concrete examples.
> >
> I want to extend JMeter and make it more flexible.
> And I want to add some keyword-driven and data-driven feature.

Not sure I understand you here - the JMX files are full of keywords
and data, and you can use various functions (and the AccessLog
Sampler) to read external data for use in the test.

It is possible (but currently rather tedious) to create JMX files
without using JMeter - if that is what you are wanting to do.

This will become a lot easier in the future, as JMeter will use a much
simplified version of the JMX files. [Existing files will still be
readable, in case anyone is worried!].

S.

Re: About Jython as a script language

Posted by boy sloven <sl...@yahoo.com.cn>.
Hi Sebb,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
<sl...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:37:27 +0800 (CST), boy sloven
> > <sl...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> The JMeter Proxy could record HTTP session only.
> I want to do more.

Such as?

Posted by boy sloven <sl...@yahoo.com.cn>.
Hi Frank,
Nice to meet you here.
I know TestMaker, and I post some articles about it on
BONOY.com forum.
here http://www.bonoy.com/forums/jmeter

> Hi Slovenboy: It would be pretty cool to go from
> .jmx file to a test
> scenario. I maintain TestMaker, another open-source
> testing tool, and
> I've been concentrating on doing HTTP, SOAP/WSDL,
> and email to Jython
> test script translations. What do you have in mind
> for .jmx to test
> script translation?

Till now, I have no idea, but I think it can be done
thru XSL or Java XML API.

I want keywork-driven feature, that's why I want to
use a script language in JMeter.

- Boy Sloven

=====

Posted by Frank Cohen <fc...@pushtotest.com>.
Hi Slovenboy: It would be pretty cool to go from .jmx file to a test
scenario. I maintain TestMaker, another open-source testing tool, and
I've been concentrating on doing HTTP, SOAP/WSDL, and email to Jython
test script translations. What do you have in mind for .jmx to test
script translation?

-Frank

On Oct 8, 2004, at 6:56 PM, boy sloven wrote:

>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:37:27 +0800 (CST), boy sloven
>> <sl...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
>>> Hi sebb
>>> Thanks for you reply.
>>> Is there some examples to run HTTP test using
>>> BeanShell Sampler?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> I read the JMeter Wiki and part of the source
>> code,
>>> but couldn't find a example.
>>
>> See above.
>>

>>> I can use the existing HTTP Sampler. it is more
>>> flexible to record a test script as a script
>> language
>>> for example beanshell or Jython.
>>
>> Why not use the JMeter Proxy to record the test
>> script?
>>
> The JMeter Proxy could record HTTP session only.
> I want to do more.
> Do you think it is possible to translate .jmx file to
> a beanshell script or the like ?
>
>>> Is there a plan to build a BeanShell recorder or
>> the
>>> like ?
>>
>> No. I don't see how that would be possible, in
>> general.
>>
>>> BTW, I have translate part of the JMeter website,
>> see
>>> here, http://www.bonoy.com/jmeter
>>
>> Thanks - perhaps you could add a link to it to the
>> JMeter Wiki?
> Yes, I've add this link to JMeter Wiki.
> Can you help me to add this link to the homepage of
> JMeter ?
>>
>>> And, I also localized part of the JMeter, when
>>> finished, I want to add it to the release. Can you
>>> help me ?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Please create a Bugzilla issue and attach any
>> patches or new files to
>> that. (you can't attach files when creating an
>> issue, but you can add
>> them to a new one)
>>
> OK, thanks.
>> S.
>

> =====
> MyBlog  : http://slovenboy.blogdriver.com/
> BonoyQA : http://www.bonoy.com/
> JMeter  : http://www.bonoy.com/jmeter/

---
Frank Cohen, PushToTest, http://www.PushToTest.com, phone: 408 374 7426
Author of "Java Testing and Design: From Unit Tests to Automated Web
Tests"
from Prentice Hall, details at http://thebook.pushtotest.com

Re: About Jython as a script language

Posted by boy sloven <sl...@yahoo.com.cn>.
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:37:27 +0800 (CST), boy sloven
> <sl...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> > Hi sebb
> > Thanks for you reply.
> > Is there some examples to run HTTP test using
> > BeanShell Sampler?
>
> No.
>
> > I read the JMeter Wiki and part of the source
> code,
> > but couldn't find a example.
>
> See above.
>

> > I can use the existing HTTP Sampler. it is more
> > flexible to record a test script as a script
> language
> > for example beanshell or Jython.
>
> Why not use the JMeter Proxy to record the test
> script?

The JMeter Proxy could record HTTP session only.
I want to do more.
Do you think it is possible to translate .jmx file to
a beanshell script or the like ?

> > Is there a plan to build a BeanShell recorder or
> the
> > like ?
>
> No. I don't see how that would be possible, in
> general.
>
> > BTW, I have translate part of the JMeter website,
> see
> > here, http://www.bonoy.com/jmeter
>
> Thanks - perhaps you could add a link to it to the
> JMeter Wiki?
Yes, I've add this link to JMeter Wiki.
Can you help me to add this link to the homepage of
JMeter ?

> > And, I also localized part of the JMeter, when
> > finished, I want to add it to the release. Can you
> > help me ?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Please create a Bugzilla issue and attach any
> patches or new files to
> that. (you can't attach files when creating an
> issue, but you can add
> them to a new one)

OK, thanks.

=====

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
<sl...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi sebb
> Thanks for you reply.
> Is there some examples to run HTTP test using
> BeanShell Sampler?

No.

> I read the JMeter Wiki and part of the source code,
> but couldn't find a example.

See above.