Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Corey Scott <co...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/03 06:10:32 UTC

[OT] Test generation

A quick question for the collective brains trust.

I have been looking into test (and code) generation and have come to a
unexpected results.
1) JUnitDoclet appears to be the only (reasonable) opensource product around
2) commerical equiv are incredibly expensive
3) JUnitDoclet seems extremely like a decent tool, up to a point.  It
seems extremely limited and not terribly configurable (at least
easily).  And support for standard tests or standard layouts for
common code structures does not seem easy/available

This brings me to my questions:
1) Are the statements above correct?  It seems like I must have missed something
2) Are their any OSS efforts around to produce an extended test
generation framework and maybe a repository of easily customizable
tests?
3) If not, is anyone interesting in looking into the creation of such a thing?

Regards,
Corey

Re: [OT] Test generation

Posted by Corey Scott <co...@gmail.com>.
Actually I had been looking at JTest and I know that there is no way
my company would pay for such a product.  The impression I got from
their doco was that is was a 'nice' tool if you were doing what it
wanted you to do.
With all this in mind, I was thinking that a whole heap of my tests
(and code also) looked extremely similar and that a templated solution
that was easily configurable would be something that everyone could
benifit from.  Also I am sure that their are a set of tests that are
somewhat standard for different situations that a lot of people would
not be aware of.  So in this manner those that are very good at
testing could contribute their 'templates' to help the rest of us test
our products better.

Personally I am happy with JUnit but I am now (thanks to Bernard) that
it has some limitations that I havent hit yet
(http://www.beust.com/testng/).

So far its just a whole lot of non-coherant thoughts, its just
something niggling in the back of my head, that there must be a better
way.

Regards,
Corey

Re: [OT] Test generation

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net>.
Did you get a look at Backpedal ? It can reverse the changes made to the
database.

http://backpedal.sourceforge.net

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [OT] Test generation

Posted by Mark Lowe <me...@gmail.com>.
Spring lends itself really well to testing, just load the
applicationContext.xml file and off it goes. The problem I've found is
that any data added during the tests is hard to remove in the teardown
method.. Being able to wire in a few sql scripts and such like that
would be inserted during setup and teardown would be a nice means of
doing things. Thats where I see the benefit, being able to add a sql
scripts as maven properties rather than loading them in a TestCase.

It could well be the penny hasn't dropped with my JUnit knowledge but
it does seem a little tricky.

Re: [OT] Test generation

Posted by Matt Sgarlata <sg...@users.sourceforge.net>.
> I'd really like to find a maven configable way for defining fixtures
> for spring, so the db is setup cleanly on each setup, and removed on
> each teardown.

What would be the benefit of defining the test fixtures in Maven over
specifying them directly in a Spring test context?

> Mark

Matt

Re: [OT] Test generation

Posted by Mark Lowe <me...@gmail.com>.
Corey

I'd be interested in what ideas you have for test generation. I've a
few bits I'd like maven test plugin todo that perhaps it cant, such as
being able on configure fixtures in maven.xml , but I haven't got as
far as seeing how I could achieve this.

An xdoclet approach i fear would bloat non test code out with xdoclet comments.

I assume you'd like to be able to define the test class to be
subclassed and perhaps some of the default tests that are generated
e.g. Struts test case.

I'd really like to find a maven configable way for defining fixtures
for spring, so the db is setup cleanly on each setup, and removed on
each teardown.

Like i say I'm short of ideas at the moment, but I'd certainlty like
to hear your thoughts.

Mark

RE: [OT] Test generation

Posted by Bernard D'Have <bd...@tiscali.be>.