Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@JGSullivan.com> on 2002/03/06 19:56:00 UTC

Contributing Code (RE: Multiple DataSource)

>I'm a little surprised that this is being ignored.  Here I fixed a bug
>listed in "Bug report for Struts" for two months now, and it hasn't gotten
>even as much as a comment.

What IS the best way to get contributions merged into the project?
Similar to Anthony's case, we've come up with at least three patches
to Struts here in my office and done what we thought we should do to
contribute the changes, but haven't seen any responses.

In my case, I figured it's just 'cause people hate frames -- hey, I
hate frames -- but today I re-submitted my suggestion for an
last time I just posted it to the mailing list which may be why it
got ignored.)

Another developer here submitted a patch to <logic:iterate> which
adds support for iterating over arrays of primitives (Bug 6553).  A
third submitted a patch to <html:form> to support a "forward"
attribute.  (I don't think that's made it into Bugzilla yet.)

If these can get worked into the CVS tree, it will make it much
easier for us to keep up with nightly builds.  If there's anything we
should do differently to make it easier for committers to use our
contributions, please let us know.  If everyone is just supremely
busy, that's totally understandable -- but it seems like several of
us could use some guidance on how we can best contribute to Struts.

Thanks,
	Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Lead Programmer

Re: Contributing Code (RE: Multiple DataSource)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
As Martin mentioned, the Committers aren't simply gatekeepers, we have
to take responsiblity for what we commit. I'm not using the generic
connection pool in an application myself, and so would be hard-pressed
to be able to test any patch.

We have put a few unit tests in the for the tags, but need much more in
the way of regression testing. That would make it easier for us to
commit some of the patches, since we would have a way to confirm them
afterwards.

We are a bit shorthanded right now. Craig is neck-deep in the Sun Web
Services implementation, Oleg and Martin's jobs are also very depending,
and I'm actually suppose to be writing a book at this very instant. Ron
helped get some of the initial unit testing up for the tags, but doesn't
come around much anymore. Vincent, who also helped with the unit
testing, is at a client site, and can't help much right now. Arron,
David, and Michael are quick to pitch-in when there's a problem with
their specialities, but, again, not all of us are comfortable working in
every area of the codebase.

The patches and other issues would be carefully reviewed as part of the
beta/release cycle we are in now. Before we went to a release, we would
make a deliberate decision about what does and does not need to be
fixed.

As a practical matter, all you can do is keep submitting patches to
Bugzilla, and mentioning them when other people have problems, so that
at some point we can nominate you as a Committer, let you do it yourself
:)

Bugzilla does a voting feature, if I started to see votes for a patch,
and testimonials from developers that it works for them, I would be more
likely to go ahead an apply it.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/struts

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>.