Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Victor <vi...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/07 06:53:48 UTC

[artemis] Dynamically add cluster connection using JMX/Jolokia?

Hi all,

I'm having some fun trying to figure out the ideal way to deploy an
ActiveMQ Artemis cluster in Kubernetes.

I started by creating a Helm Chart (think of it as a deb/rpm package for
Kubernetes) where I can just install a Symmetric cluster of 8 nodes with
the following commands:

  helm repo add activemq-artemis https://vromero.github.io/
activemq-artemis-helm/
  helm install vromero/activemq-artemis --set replicas=8

It works pretty well but I'm creating static-connectors for the cluster
connection at the install time. Meaning that if later the user wants to
scale up or down his cluster it won't work.

I have been exploring these two ideas to overcome it:

- ActiveMQ Artemis Plugin to enable auto-discover by connecting to the
Artemis to the Kubernetes api
- To have an external minimal agent written in Go (given that it has the
best client library for k8s and it has a very small binary / memory
footprint) that connects to k8s and let know Artemis from the outside which
other nodes are available for the cluster.

After a quick look at the first option, the one of the plugin, I decided to
keep it as plan B given that a hypothetically big cluster might end up
pounding too hard the Kubernetes API and especially given that the
Kubernetes client would bring a not too big but neither too small number of
transitive dependencies to Artemis.

So off I went with the external agent to now realize that at least at a
quick glance at the JMX/Jolokia API I see no method to add new
cluster-connections. So my question would be:

Is there any way to add externally cluster-connections to Artemis?

I'm hoping that this belongs to the dev list as it is kind-of advanced if
it actually belongs to user I apologise

Thanks

Re: [artemis] Dynamically add cluster connection using JMX/Jolokia?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
This definitely belongs to Dev.

I want to get more involved with Kubernetes. I am setting time apart
into this for upcoming weeks. Right now I don't have much information
to help you.. but please keep us informed of your discoveries :)

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [artemis] Dynamically add cluster connection using JMX/Jolokia?

Posted by Victor <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guys,

I will definitely try the JGroups configuration with KUBE_PING.

I'll keep an eye on the list for possible clustering updates and in the
meantime, I will try to do my best with the helm chart and JGroups.

In the big scheme of things, what I'm trying to do is to have a Docker
image eventually worthy of being official and a Helm chart good enough to
be included in the official helm charts repository to drive more adoption
of Artemis in the cloud native world.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.