Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Alex Bohr <al...@gradientx.com> on 2015/03/09 22:47:24 UTC

Hive job name

Since going from Hive 0.11 to 0.13 the Job Names, in the JobTracker UI, for
my Hive queries in the job tracker changed.

It used to be the first 200 characters or so of the Hive query, now it's
just "hive-exec-0.13.1-cdh5.3.1.jar."

Seeing the beginning of the query in the job Name was super helpful to
figure out which queries are taking super long or using heavy # of slots.
Now I need to drill down to the job config file and check the hive.query.string
key.

Is there a config setting I can use to make the Hive Job name reflect the
query being executed?

I'm still using the JobTracker, haven't switched to Yarn yet.  Does this
change with Yarn?

Thanks

Re: Hive job name

Posted by Stephen Sprague <sp...@gmail.com>.
Gotta say i don't particular like this either.   We run thousands of
queries a day and by using a comment before the query you could manipulate
the job.name hive would use.   Now like the OP stated that's ignored -
every job is named "hive-exec-0.13.1-cdh5.3.1.jar"   Sure setting
mapreduce.job.name explicitly is a workaround but... that's a boat load of
code changes!

Would not there be a "fix" to roll this back to how it got the job.name
before?

Thanks,
Stephen Sprague

Re: Hive job name