Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Dan Jones <dj...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/12 07:34:25 UTC

Documentation confusion

Hi

Another newbie question, and probably a stupid one, but I find the following
extract from the Cocoon 2.02 documentation a little confusing:

> Due to changes in JDBC between JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.4, it is not possible to use Cocoon build on JDK 1.3 with JDK 1.4
> when it comes to database connections.
>
> So if you want to use Cocoon with JDK 1.4, you have to download the source distribution and build it by hand.

It's the "it is not possible..." bit that I find confusing.

If I'm using the Cocoon 2.02 binaries with JDK 1.4, am I OK? Or do I need to go
back, get the source files and build it?

Like I said, forgive if this is a really dumb question, but I don't quite get
where the 1.3 comes into it.

Cheers

Dan

RE: Documentation confusion

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Dan Jones [mailto:dj2216@hotmail.com]
>
> Hi
>
> Another newbie question, and probably a stupid one, but I find the
following
> extract from the Cocoon 2.02 documentation a little confusing:
>

> > Due to changes in JDBC between JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.4, it is not
possible
> > to use Cocoon build on JDK 1.3 with JDK 1.4
> > when it comes to database connections.
> >
> > So if you want to use Cocoon with JDK 1.4, you have to download the
> > source distribution and build it by hand.
>
> It's the "it is not possible..." bit that I find confusing.
>
> If I'm using the Cocoon 2.02 binaries with JDK 1.4, am I OK?

You are Ok until you try using SQL with Cocoon (ESQL or SQLTransformer).
As Doc says, the difference which makes JDK's not compatible is in JDBC.

> Or do I need
> to go back, get the source files and build it?

You can wait for 2.0.3 (Really Soon Now), it will address JDK version
issues.

Vadim