Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/05 22:22:08 UTC

Any23 in Jena

Hi All,

A while back [0] there was limited discussion on eating out own dog
food (I hate that saying) in an attempt to find common ground between
projects within the foundation.

Coming from an Any23 *parsing* point of view, can someone explain the
differences in logic (if any) between ARP [1] and the Any23 Extractor
[0] packages we currently maintain. FYI Any23 relies somewhat on RIO
for the RDF parsing implementations.

It would be nice to iron this one out...

Best

Lewis

[0] http://www.mail-archive.com/any23-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg00102.html
[1] http://jena.apache.org/documentation/javadoc/jena/index.html?com/hp/hpl/jena/rdf/arp/package-summary.html
[2] http://any23.apache.org/apidocs/index.html

--
Lewis

Re: Any23 in Jena

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> "drink our own champagne"

Certainly a slight improvement, however today has been long and its
too late for me to take this any further... just now :0)

> ARP parses RDF/XML [A] -- RDF/XML in, triples out -- similar to Any23
> RDFXMLExtractor (via rio).

And in your opinion (knowing most certainly the ARP and most probably
the Any23 stuff inside out)... what are the areas one would target
(within the Jena API) to pull/combine the best bits of the code or
alternatively implement a re-design of the Jena ARP API to run ontop
of the Any23 parsing and extraction packages?

Am I flogging a dead horse or is the reason that this has not been
addressed simply because it works and why change what isn't broken?

Lewis

Re: Any23 in Jena

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 05/11/12 21:22, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A while back [0] there was limited discussion on eating out own dog
> food (I hate that saying)

"drink our own champagne"

  in an attempt to find common ground between
> projects within the foundation.
>
> Coming from an Any23 *parsing* point of view, can someone explain the
> differences in logic (if any) between ARP [1] and the Any23 Extractor
> [0] packages we currently maintain. FYI Any23 relies somewhat on RIO
> for the RDF parsing implementations.
>
> It would be nice to iron this one out...

ARP parses RDF/XML [A] -- RDF/XML in, triples out -- similar to Any23
RDFXMLExtractor (via rio).

	Andy

[A] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/