Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ra...@itdz-berlin.de on 2006/02/06 17:17:08 UTC

Tomcat Startup Messages

Hello,

although I didn't find an answer whether to have catalina run as
root proc or under unprivileged uid
(Charles Cladarale mentioned it was required for binding to low
ports, for which there's no need in my setup since I so far used
standard ports which are all well beyond 1023)
I decided for the latter.
So I eventually did a
chown -R tomcat:apache $CATALINA_HOME
and restarted the thing with su to tomcat, and with the -security
switch set
(albeit with the standard catalina.policy as it came out of the
tarball so far)

In the catalina.out I stumbled over these entries.

Feb 6, 2006 4:55:17 PM
org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener lifecycleEvent
INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path:
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/lib/i386/client:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/lib/i
386:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/../lib/i386

Is it worthwhile installing the Apache Tomcat Native Lib, and
where would I get it
(probably somewhere beneath tomcat.apache.org)?

I don't intend to install a JDK on this box (where the NatLib is
probably shipped with?)
since this shouldn't be a development box.

Feb 6, 2006 4:55:17 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost
start
INFO: XML validation disabled

Does it mean it would run a pre-flight check for non valid XML in
config files?
What would it take to enable XML validation?

And finally, what about these errors marked severe?

Feb 6, 2006 4:55:18 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
start
SEVERE: Error filterStart

Where would I have to setup filters?
What filters?
Kind of TCP wrapper, or ACLs?

Feb 6, 2006 4:55:18 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
start
SEVERE: Context [/balancer] startup failed due to previous errors
Feb 6, 2006 4:55:19 PM
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start

Right, I haven't yet set up a load balancer.
But I guess this is optional stuff, isn't it?

However, tomcat seems to have started

# ps -fu tomcat
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
tomcat   22682     1  4 16:55 pts/1    00:00:02
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin/java -Djava.util.logging.ma

as a wget of the /manager/list URL shows

OK - Listed applications for virtual host localhost
/webdav:running:0:webdav
/servlets-examples:running:0:servlets-examples
/jsp-examples:running:0:jsp-examples
/balancer:stopped:0:balancer
/host-manager:running:0:/var/www/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/serv
er/webapps/host-manager
/tomcat-docs:running:0:tomcat-docs
/:running:0:ROOT
/manager:running:0:/var/www/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/server/we
bapps/manager

Re: Tomcat Startup Messages

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <al...@yahoo.com>.
> In the catalina.out I stumbled over these entries.
>

> Feb 6, 2006 4:55:17 PM
> org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
> lifecycleEvent
> INFO: The Apache Tomcat Native library which allows
> optimal
> performance in production environments was not found
> on the
> java.library.path:

/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/lib/i386/client:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/lib/i
> 386:/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/../lib/i386
>

> Is it worthwhile installing the Apache Tomcat Native
> Lib, and
> where would I get it
> (probably somewhere beneath tomcat.apache.org)?

This lib allows for better performance of the TCs
connectors, which is good in production. You would
have to build this library and for that you need ANSI
CC (GCC will do), Autoconf, maybe something else.

> I don't intend to install a JDK on this box (where
> the NatLib is
> probably shipped with?)

No, it is not shipped, it needs to be built and linked
to libapr (Apache Portable Runtime library), a part of
Apache web server packages (don't forget the
development versions, too.

> since this shouldn't be a development box.

JDK won't harm you, but it is a superset of JRE.

Nix.