Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Conor Clifford <cc...@arantech.com> on 2001/12/12 11:22:05 UTC

RollingFileAppender file removal

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to log4J, and brand new to this list. I find the tool
fantastic, but have come across the following problem.

If the current log file created by the RollingFileAppender is deleted by a
user, the file is not re-created by log4J. This happens even if logging to
that file is disabled and then re-enabled through manipulation of the
configuration file. The only way to get this log file re-created is by
stopping and restarting the process in question, which is not really an
option as the process in question is a persistent 24-7 server process.

I know this is not going to happen very often (actually, deleting active
log-files should never really happen) but there is no guaranteeing what a
"user" will do.

I am using the following environment:

log4J version 1.1.3
Java version 1.3.1
SunOS 5.8

Is this a known problem, if so, is there a known solution?

Many Regards,

Conor.

---------------------------
             Conor Clifford
   Senior Software Engineer
          Aran Technologies
     cclifford@arantech.com
    http://www.arantech.com

RE: RollingFileAppender file removal

Posted by Thomas Tuft Muller <tt...@online.no>.
Conor,

One solution is to utilize the OS (and you use a fantastic one). Run the
server in question as a user with dedicated permissions on the log-file
directory. This should prevent other users from accidentally removing the
files in it.

--

Thomas