Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu> on 2000/12/20 04:52:14 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache::Filter 1.016

The URL

    http://forum.swarthmore.edu/~ken/modules/archive/Apache-Filter-1.016.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/K/KW/KWILLIAMS/Apache-Filter-1.016.tar.gz
  size: 22598 bytes
   md5: bff9089882d3f9834fafa1822a4f37f6

Changes since 1.014:

   Noted dependency on mod_perl 1.24_01.

   Fixed a bug in Apache::RegistryFilter that caused a crash when
   handler() was called as a function instead of a method.
   [thumper@bsi.menlo-park.ca.us]

  -------------------                            -------------------
  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum

Re: Document contains no data

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Darren Duncan wrote:

> I have been having a problem with my scripts during the where I
> periodically get a Netscape 4 error saying "Document contains no
> data" when they run under mod_perl, but not with the same script
> under CGI.

Is this only on Netscape 4?

That message often means either bad HTML or a server crash.  Have you
looked in the error_log?  If you can't make sense of it, connect to
the server using

telnet my.host.wherever 80

and then say

GET /your/troublesome/uri HTTP/1.0

followed by two returns and look at the output.  It's instructive if
you just say "GET / HTTP/1.0" (again followed by two returns).

When something fishy happens then it's time to look in the error_log.
When I'm debugging I usually stop the server, rename the error_log to
something like error_log.2000.12.20, then restart it.  That way apache
creates a new, empty log and I can follow everything that happens from
the moment I start the server without wading through reams of output.

Wouldn't you be better off using the request object methods to send
your headers?  The Eagle Book will tell you all about it.  For debug,
if there's a server on port 80 listening to real-world requests and I
had no other machine to play with I'd want to set up another Apache
for debugging which listens on another port, above 1024.  That way I
can crash the server (almost) all I want without hurting real users.
It's all in the Guide.  Sorry, have to drive 1000 miles North now...

73,
Ged.

Document contains no data

Posted by Darren Duncan <da...@DarrenDuncan.net>.
I have been having a problem with my scripts during the where I
periodically get a Netscape 4 error saying "Document contains no
data" when they run under mod_perl, but not with the same script
under CGI.  And this only happens sometimes; other times the pages
return fine.  However, the problem happens very often, even while not
all the time.  At some points it happens many times sequentially.

The problems started soon after I switched to mod_perl on my server
using this in the .htaccess file (files named .cgi run as CGI):

<Files *.pl>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler Apache::Registry
    Options +ExecCGI
</Files>

I did a search in the Guide for this error and otherwise looked in
the troubleshooting sections, but could find nothing.

So I am hoping that you all can forgive me for asking help on this problem.

Everything else is working fine as near as I can tell.

I do not use any global variables explicitely, so I don't see how
there could be persistant variable issues.  I also print my entire
output with headers in a single print statement.

I am printing the "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n" ahead of the other headers
when running under mod_perl as I am supposed to.  And when pages do
display they show evidence of this (no extra header text appears).

I believe that my mod_perl set-up has about 10 child processes in it,
and site traffic is on the order of about 300-1000 hits per day.

Stop/Starting the server did not make a difference.  Non perl files
still are served fine so far and so are .cgi files.

Help?

// Darren Duncan