Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Yoav Shapira <sh...@mpi.com> on 2001/10/04 17:14:59 UTC

Duplicate indices in 4.0

Hi there,
I have a servlet in my webapp that I'd like loaded on server startup, after
the Tomcat servlets (default, invoker, jsp, cgi-bin, etc.).

Expected behavior: My understanding was that if in my
webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml I have something like
<servlet>
  <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
  <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

Then MyServlet will be loaded first in my webapp, AFTER all the tomcat
defaults from the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml file.

Observed Behavior:
I can't even access localhost:8080 index.html file, or anything else.
Tomcat
seems to not respond, the startup logs stop in a weird place: the HTTP
listener
starts, but doesn't start any threads.

Removing load-on-startup fixes the problem, and I would guess that changing
it to something like 999 would fix it as well.  Was my expectation wrong, or
is this a bug?

Thanks,

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

How to develop custom user authentication for Tomcat based on SecurityCheck ?

Posted by Thierry Delaitre <de...@cpc.wmin.ac.uk>.
Hello,

We have developed a JSP based application based on tomcat 3.2.3. This
application requires different level of administration and requires users
to login. We would like to develop a custom authentication module for
authenticating users against NIS login/password database. I've already
developed a C program which checks if a given login/password is correct
but it is not clear how to integrate this C program with tomcat. This C
program runs as root (setuid !) and takes the login name and password in
input using a pipe and returns true or false if the login/password pair is
correct or not.

We have had a look at extending the SecurityCheck class but it seems that
the SecurityCheck class does not exist anymore in tomcat 3.2.3 ? Has a new
class superseded the SecurityCheck class and is there some kind of
documentation about this new class ? I would be grateful for any
information !

Thanks !

Thierry & Mathilde.