Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/14 20:01:05 UTC

(Draft) Introduction to Development module

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html

The idea here is to have a dev-focused introduction page that works
along side the similar pages we have for Marketing and QA.  This is
the first draft.   I already see a few typos, so don't worry about
those.   But I am looking for more content.

What else should we put here?  Any other links?  Any other startup tasks?

-Rob

Re: (Draft) Introduction to Development module

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 01/14/2013 11:50 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 14 January 2013 20:01, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html
>>>
>>> The idea here is to have a dev-focused introduction page that works
>>> along side the similar pages we have for Marketing and QA.  This is
>>> the first draft.   I already see a few typos, so don't worry about
>>> those.   But I am looking for more content.
>>>
>> I like the idea that we have a document like this, a few remarks to content:
>> - The building guide you refer to is outdated (see first line), and many of
>> the other building guides are not complete.
>>

> Is there a building guide that is more up to date than the one I linked to?

We were just discussing this a day or so ago. The information from the
Developer Snapshot cwiki page toward the bottom:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOO3.4.1

needs to be added to the wiki build info, so the wiki build info is not
complete.

see below for more...

>> - since not all programmers are fluent in all languages, it would be nice
>> to have a list of which languages are used where...otherwise it becomes
>> complicated to pick an "easy task".
>>

> Maybe when someone marks an issue as an "easy task" they add a comment
> in Bugzilla giving some hints like where to start looking, etc.
>
>> - It would also be nice to give a short introduction to debugging, which is
>> far from easy (again split on languages/tools).
>>

> I'd love to have that information, if anyone has a link?
>
> But I think that is the catch-22:   Our dev doc is poor, but it takes
> volunteer dev time to improve the doc.  But we need more volunteers.
> And that requires good doc.
>
> So maybe this becomes a bootstrapping process, where we gather
> feedback from the initial dev volunteers and use that to improve the
> doc.
>
> In any case, I don't have the deep knowledge here.  I'm mainly helping
> gather it into one place in a consumable form.  So improving this will
> require help from a veteran developer, either up front, or later after
> answering repeated questions on the mailing list.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Ok, our Altsassian Fisheye instance has been broken for some time. I
don't know what the problem is. I filed an issue some time ago. I need
to get abck in contact with them. Last update was about a week ago.

The link you have goes to a page but then NOTHING really, and it does
not included "trunk". So, I guess you may need to stick with just the
viewvc link:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk

  for the time being.

Another link developers may find useful is the Developer’s Guide on the
wiki:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide

All in all a good start!

>> rgds
>> Jan I
>>

>>> What else should we put here?  Any other links?  Any other startup tasks?
>>>
>>> -Rob

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop

Re: (Draft) Introduction to Development module

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/16 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> [...]
> clear from the context.
>
> > Your text addresses only "changing the core". That is likely correct,
> when
> > someone reaches that page following a hierarchical instruction. But
> nowadays
> > pages are more often found by searching.
> >

> Good point.
>
> > So my suggestion is, to make a short page for the other type of
> development
> > and add at the beginning of your text, the target audience of your page
> and
> > a reference to the other page.
> >

> Right now, when I search Google for 'OpenOffice development' I get this
> page:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/development/
>
> That looks like a mix of topics, but need to be updated.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>
> > I don' know, whether an introduction page for the other kind of
> development
> > already exist. But it should contain hints to:
> > - api@openoffice.apache.org
> > - existence and download of SDK
> > -
> http://www.openoffice.org/api/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/module-ix.html
> > - http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide
> > -
> >
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/OpenOffice.org_Developers_Guide
> > [- http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Using_Cpp_with_the_OOo_SDK, if it
> will be
> > continued]

> from
> code.

> >> Thanks!  I made changes, mainly additions, based on your feedback and
> >> earlier comments from Kay and Jan.  Here is the updated version:
> >>
> >> http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html
> >

> > The section 'Other Useful Resources' should have a link to
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Source_code_directories
> > and
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Coding_Standards
> > and
> > http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/Code_Conventions
> > However, they seem to need revision and additions. But they are useful
> for
> > newcomer nevertheless.
> >

> OK.  I created new sections for "Orienting Yourself" and "Coding
> Standards".
>

> > A hint to Doxygen for LibreOffice. The tool is helpful and it would be
> nice
> > to have a similar thing for AOO. If a module has it, you can get it when
> you
> > click on the module name in http://docs.libreoffice.org/ and then on
> > 'Doxygen'. Try it for example with module 'sd'.
> >

> I agree, that would be nice.
>
> Does anyone have any hints for debugging?  Or do we even have a page
> on debug logging/tracing?  For easy hacks it is probably sufficient to
> insert debugging log statements and debug things that way.

Rob,
  The page looks great! Of course there are more detailed guidance that we
need to add or update (e.g. debug, build...), but we can complement them
gradually.

  We already have a volunteer directory wiki[1], and I think we should
encourage them to register.
  And further more, I'm thinking if we should create a new wiki page and
give a checklist for new developers to record their progress, e.g. "build
successfully on xx platform", "can debug", "submitted n patch(es)".
    (1) For themselves, it will be great to feel their own progress with
regular milestone achievements.
    (2) For other new comers, this page can be a good reference to get help
and exchange the experience, who still has fresh memory to some of the pain
that old members might forgot already. :P
    (3) For community, it is definitely good to know where are our new
comers. e.g. If few new volunteers recorded "build successfully", we need
to check with them and review if our document is not adequate...

  Just my 0.02$.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Directory+of+Volunteers

- Shenfeng

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Rob,

Rob Weir schrieb:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 15/01/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks!  I made changes, mainly additions, based on your feedback and
>>> earlier comments from Kay and Jan.  Here is the updated version:
>>> http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html
>>

>> Good (and needed!) page. I've committed a bunch of minor fixes, see
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/site/trunk/content/orientation/intro-development.mdtext?r1=1433585&r2=1434981&diff_format=h
>> and feel free to revert any of them.
>>
>> But, aside from these fixes, note that the named queries in Bugzilla won't
>> work for unauthenticated users; we should either fix the queries or make it
>> clear.
>>

> Is there some trick to get the query to work without authentication?

Why do you need a named query at all? The user of the page will not see
the original link but your description text.

If you do not want to write such a long link into the source, then you
can use the shortener and use its result. Try for example
http://s.apache.org/GV8 (logout from bugzilla before trying it)

Kind regards
Regina

Re: (Draft) Introduction to Development module

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.