Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/06/05 12:33:40 UTC

Re: Betwixt & MethodUpdaters

Hi Jason

From: "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com>
> Hi James,
>
> Is is possible to control at which point updaters are called with newly
> created objects?
>
> In Maven the project object has a method:
>
> void addDistribution(Distribution distribution)
> {
>     distributions.add(distribution);
> }
>
> But I would additionally like to place the distributions in a Map so
> that I can subsequently look them up but it appears that the
> distribution object added is not yet complete.
>
> This isn't a huge deal because I can lazily initialize the distribution
> Map I need but I was just wondering if the addXXX() method can be
> delayed until the object has been fully populated.

Sorry this took a while to get to but I've modified betwixt (the
BeanCreateRule) to do exactly this. So the addDistribution() method will
only be called when the Distribution object is fully configured. This makes
lots of sense and allows setter or adder methods to use the properties of
the child bean to make indices or other custom processsing etc.

To test this works I added a JUnit assertion to the ScarabSettings class
when adding new GlobalAttribute objects that they must have a 'name'
property set before the addGlobalAttribute() method is called.

James

Re: [VOTE] move Betwixt into commons proper (was Re: Betwixt & MethodUpdaters)

Posted by Juozas Baliuka <ba...@mwm.lt>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 06:49, James Strachan wrote:
> [...]

+1

> James

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [VOTE] move Betwixt into commons proper (was Re: Betwixt & MethodUpdaters)

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
I'm +1 on this...but I want you guys to wait a bit until I do more
testing...

-jon

Re: [VOTE] move Betwixt into commons proper (was Re: Betwixt & MethodUpdaters)

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 on moving Betwixt into commons proper.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>.
+1

- robert

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
+1 from a non-participant...

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
+1 !

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
+1

Craig

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Re: Betwixt & MethodUpdaters

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 06:33, James Strachan wrote:
> Hi Jason
>
> From: "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com>
> > Hi James,
> >
> > Is is possible to control at which point updaters are called with newly
> > created objects?
> >
> > In Maven the project object has a method:
> >
> > void addDistribution(Distribution distribution)
> > {
> >     distributions.add(distribution);
> > }
> >
> > But I would additionally like to place the distributions in a Map so
> > that I can subsequently look them up but it appears that the
> > distribution object added is not yet complete.
> >
> > This isn't a huge deal because I can lazily initialize the distribution
> > Map I need but I was just wondering if the addXXX() method can be
> > delayed until the object has been fully populated.
>
> Sorry this took a while to get to but I've modified betwixt (the
> BeanCreateRule) to do exactly this. So the addDistribution() method will
> only be called when the Distribution object is fully configured. This makes
> lots of sense and allows setter or adder methods to use the properties of
> the child bean to make indices or other custom processsing etc.

Cool, thanks!

> To test this works I added a JUnit assertion to the ScarabSettings class
> when adding new GlobalAttribute objects that they must have a 'name'
> property set before the addGlobalAttribute() method is called.

It now looks like the bugs have been squashed so how about we propose to
move Betwixt up to the commons proper and do a release?

> James

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org