Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/08 21:31:27 UTC

Minimum Xcode version in Cordova 9?

I think we definitely want to drop Xcode 8 support and add Xcode 10
support in the upcoming Cordova 9 release. The one open question is
how much longer we want to support Xcode 9?

There is some discussion in
https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/491 but I think that is not
the best place to have the discussion.

I can think of the following alternative solutions:
1. drop Xcode 9 support in cordova-ios@5, before we release Cordova 9
2. support both Xcode 9 and Xcode 10 in cordova-ios@5, as part of Cordova 9
3. release cordova-ios@5 to support both Xcode 9 and Xcode 10, and
then make cordova-ios@6 to drop Xcode 9 before we release Cordova 9

I would also favor that we do something small to prevent a user from
building on an unsupported Xcode version, in order to avoid a nasty
surprise someday in the future.

I think alternative 1 would be the easiest but could lead to issues
for some enterprise users that are still using Xcode 9.

Alternative 2 would be straightforward for now but could make it
harder to make bug fixes in the future.

I think alternative 3 would be the best way to support enterprise
users that are still using Xcode 9 but lead to some more work in the
near term.