Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/25 06:10:45 UTC

Cloning shards => cloning collections

Hi,

In http://search-lucene.com/m/O1O2r14sU811 Shalin wrote:

"The splitting process is nothing but the creation of a bitset with
which a LiveDocsReader is created. These readers are then added to the
a new index via IW.addIndexes(IndexReader[] readers) method."

... which makes me wonder.... couldn't the same mechanism be used to clone
shards and thus allow us to clone/duplicate a whole collection?  A handy
feature, IMHO.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Cloning shards => cloning collections

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As a matter of fact, what about exposing a new Collection API CLONE command
and having Solr simply copy all the needed shards and replicas at the FS
level, would that work (or not because of different Directory
implementations that may not all lend themselves to being simply copied)?

Thanks,
Otis