Posted to user@spark.apache.org by hnagar <he...@mobiusws.com> on 2016/01/19 20:32:18 UTC

Spark SQL -Hive transactions support

Hive has transactions support since version 0.14.

I am using Spark 1.6, and Hive 1.2.1, are transactions supported in Spark
SQL now. I tried in the Spark-Shell and it gives the following error

org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException:
Unsupported language features in query: insert into test values(1, 'john',
'dong')

I am wondering if its a configuration issue, or this is still not supported
in Spark.

Re: Spark SQL -Hive transactions support

Posted by Elliot West <te...@gmail.com>.
Hive's ACID feature (which introduces transactions) is not required for
inserts, only updates and deletes. Inserts should be supported on a vanilla
Hive shell. I'm not sure how Spark interacts with Hive in that regard but
perhaps the HiveSQLContext implementation is lacking support.

On a separate note, ACID is rarely configured out of the box and also
requires that your tables are declared with some specific attributes. This
might be worth checking but does not seem like the issue in your case:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+Transactions#HiveTransactions-Configuration

For streaming type processing it would be nice to integrate Spark with
Hive's streaming API which uses the ACID feature:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Streaming+Data+Ingest

Additionally, updates and deletes could be supported by Spark by
integrating with the not yet released mutation API:

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/master/hcatalog/streaming/src/java/org/apache/hive/hcatalog/streaming/mutate/package.html

Elliot.

Posted by Hemang Nagar <he...@mobiusws.com>.
Do you have any plans for supporting hive transactions in Spark?

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.