Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Böckling <mi...@giniality.com> on 2006/02/15 12:10:44 UTC

Bug in POM validation when using dependencyManagement

Hi,

I make extensive use of the dependencyManagement section over multiple
POM hierchies.
I have them setup like this:

  <dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>${pom.groupId}</groupId>
        <artifactId>some-artifact</artifactId>
        <version>${some-artifact}</version>
      </dependency>
    </dependencies>
  </dependencyManagement>

The actual version is defined in the same POM in the <properties>
section as e.g. <some-artifact>1.0-SNAPSHOT</some-artifact> (so that I
can define the version of child projects in one central place and use it
in the dependencyManagement at the same time).
When I declare this artifact as dependency in a child POM, I have to add
<version>${some-artifact}</version>, or else it will say
"'dependencies.dependency.version' is missing for [...]":

<dependency>
      <groupId>org.dummy</groupId>
      <artifactId>some-artifact</artifactId>
     <version>${some-artifact}</version>
</dependency>

Of course, <version>${some-artifact}</version> should not be necessary,
as dependencyManagement in a parent pom already defined it.
Executing help:effective-pom shows that the elements in the
dependencyManagement section are correctly populated, including
"org.dummy:some-artifact:1.0-SNAPSHOT", so it looks like only the pom
validation is borked, not the actual dependencyManagement implementation.
Is this a known Bug?

Regards,
    Michael

--
Giniality AG - Michael Böckling; Steinenberg 21, CH-4051 Basel
P: +41 61 226 99 63 - F: +41 61 226 99 69

Re: Bug in POM validation when using dependencyManagement

Posted by John Allen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
I dont know whether this is a bug or not (sounds like it though) but i do
know that i have had to stop using extensive property based customizations
in my complex multi-project environments due to a failure of many plugins
(really its an issue with the core API and not the plugins) to properly
interpolate these values when accessing the model/pom.xml. Show stoppers for
me were the site and release plugins. It seems that the plugin testing
regime doesnt cover inherited interpolated property stuff much.

John