Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2002/02/07 09:28:01 UTC

Tomcat 3.3 and 4.x tuning via command line

Hi to all,

You should all know that there is a very good Tomcat 3.3/4.0
plugin for the OSS IDE eclipse (www.eclipse.org), available
at http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/.

This plugin allow eclipse developper to launch Tomcat from
the IDE, stop, restart and configure many parameters like
tomcat_home. Tomcat could be a binary version installed on
your disk or a project on the IDE, allowing you to debug
it from IDE.

I'm discussing with the plugin developper, Bruno Leroux,
to see if it could be possible to add some functionnalities
to the plugin to defines webapps to be used, which could
be part of the project workbench, and why not override
some of the server.xml settings like http, ajp listen
ports, works and log dir.

And that could be very usefull for eclipse developpers,
but also for sites which could use it to have multiples
instances running in production from a common location,
but with differents settings.

It could allow us to launch many different instances of
Tomcat, a major functionnality found on WebSphere, where
you got a single admin interface which launch many JVM,
on local machine or remote systems, each JVM running a
copy of websphere.

And that could be a real bonus for tomcat, if we later
develop a tomcat launcher service which could do that,
via a native/jni daemon.

In that case we need to add parameters in tomcat command
line (vm or args) to do such overriding.

I was thinking to add parms like :

-override ajp13@8109 -override ajp12@8107 -override http@8180
-override logs@/var/tomcat3/logsxxx -override works@/var/tomcat3/worksxxx
-addwebapp /var/tomcat3/webappxxx -addwebapp /var/tomcat3/webappyyy

Do you agree on these modifications ?

If so I start to see where to do the modifications on TC 3.3,
some recommandations will be greatly usefull, but who could
the same for TC 4.0 ?

-
Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)

Re: Tomcat 3.3 and 4.x tuning via command line

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:28:01 +0100
> From: GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tomcat 3.3 and 4.x tuning via command line
>
> Hi to all,
>
> You should all know that there is a very good Tomcat 3.3/4.0
> plugin for the OSS IDE eclipse (www.eclipse.org), available
> at http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/.
>
> This plugin allow eclipse developper to launch Tomcat from
> the IDE, stop, restart and configure many parameters like
> tomcat_home. Tomcat could be a binary version installed on
> your disk or a project on the IDE, allowing you to debug
> it from IDE.
>
> I'm discussing with the plugin developper, Bruno Leroux,
> to see if it could be possible to add some functionnalities
> to the plugin to defines webapps to be used, which could
> be part of the project workbench, and why not override
> some of the server.xml settings like http, ajp listen
> ports, works and log dir.
>
> And that could be very usefull for eclipse developpers,
> but also for sites which could use it to have multiples
> instances running in production from a common location,
> but with differents settings.
>
> It could allow us to launch many different instances of
> Tomcat, a major functionnality found on WebSphere, where
> you got a single admin interface which launch many JVM,
> on local machine or remote systems, each JVM running a
> copy of websphere.
>
> And that could be a real bonus for tomcat, if we later
> develop a tomcat launcher service which could do that,
> via a native/jni daemon.
>
> In that case we need to add parameters in tomcat command
> line (vm or args) to do such overriding.
>
> I was thinking to add parms like :
>
> -override ajp13@8109 -override ajp12@8107 -override http@8180
> -override logs@/var/tomcat3/logsxxx -override works@/var/tomcat3/worksxxx
> -addwebapp /var/tomcat3/webappxxx -addwebapp /var/tomcat3/webappyyy
>
> Do you agree on these modifications ?

This doesn't seem like a very scalable approach.

It appears, for example, that the only thing you can override about a
connector is which port it's on.  What happens if you want to override,
say, the maximum number of connections that your connector will accept
(the "maxProcessors" parameter on Tomcat 4's HttpConnector)?

Wouldn't it be easier to build a launcher that wrapped the EmbededTomcat
(3.x) or Embedded (4.x) class instead, if you don't want to modify
server.xml?

> If so I start to see where to do the modifications on TC 3.3,
> some recommandations will be greatly usefull, but who could
> the same for TC 4.0 ?
>
> -
> Henri Gomez                 ___[_]____
> EMAIL : hgomez@slib.fr        (. .)
> PGP KEY : 697ECEDD    ...oOOo..(_)..oOOo...
> PGP Fingerprint : 9DF8 1EA8 ED53 2F39 DC9B 904A 364F 80E6

Craig McClanahan