Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Jean Lazarou <je...@fpms.ac.be> on 2001/03/14 13:32:35 UTC

Which package?

Hi,

  We are teaching different Web/Java technologies in our university, at this moment
one student is working on a project that needs to read and write HTML/XML files,
I dowloaded Xerces two weeks ago, we looked for a way to write DOM documents
to files and didn't find anything but an example I adpated to kludge the problem right
now. I used packages included in Tomcat, which include this feature, and thought
Xerces was the right package to use. I see, now, Crimson and I also got a Sun package.
So here is my question, which one is the recommended one, if any?

Regards,
Thank you,

Jean Lazarou

Re: Which package?

Posted by Edwin Goei <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
> Jean Lazarou wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>   We are teaching different Web/Java technologies in our university,
> at this moment
> one student is working on a project that needs to read and write
> HTML/XML files,
> I dowloaded Xerces two weeks ago, we looked for a way to write DOM
> documents
> to files and didn't find anything but an example I adpated to kludge
> the problem right
> now. I used packages included in Tomcat, which include this feature,
> and thought
> Xerces was the right package to use. I see, now, Crimson and I also
> got a Sun package.
> So here is my question, which one is the recommended one, if any?

You will undoubtedly get different recommendations on which to use
depending on who you ask.

Here are the options I know about:

Use an identity transform from JAXP 1.1, but this requires an XSLT
processor.

Use the serialize package of Xerces.

There is a similar output method in

Re: Which package?

Posted by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com>.
Xerces does include a DOM serializer, see
org.apache.xml.serialize.DOMSerializer.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group