Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/23 09:21:18 UTC

GERONIMODEVTOOLS-575 Discussion

Hi, I've spent a little time looking into this problem (i.e.,
GERONIMODEVTOOLS-575) a bit more thoroughly so that I can fully understand what
error scenarios need to be considered for inclusion in this JIRA. Delos has done
a good job with his current patch as it covers many of the obvious error
scenarios like "Start, Stop, Restart server", "Set , Reset, Remove Project
runtime Target", "Publish, Republish, Remove module". However, there are other
permutations and error scenarios that I think we should strive to handle as well.
For example, there are at least two possible permutations for each of the above
scenarios that should be accounted for:

	1.  Failure/Exception on the GEP side
	2.  Failure/Exception on the WTP side

Also, there are other scenarios that entail interactions with WTP that I think
should be addressed since they have caused considerable  user confusion in the
past when failures occur. For example (again considering failures on both GEP and
WTP sides):

	-- Failure/Exception when connecting to the server
	-- Failure/Exception when invoking the "Run on Server" wizard instead of using
the Add/Remove wizard
	-- Failure/Exception when logging in to the server from the GEP
	-- Probably many others that escape me now

I guess what I'm really suggesting is that we need a consistent implementation
throughout the GEP when interactions with WTP are involved so that
Failures/Exceptions are presented to the user in an intuitive manner (e.g., an
Error Dialog and/or Eclipse log messages). Unfortunately this is not the case
today, but Delos has certainly started down the right track to mitigate many of
these GEP usability problems. Thoughts ??

Tim McConnell

Re: GERONIMODEVTOOLS-575 Discussion

Posted by Delos <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks very much for your analysis, Tim!

I strongly agree with you to present Exception to the user in an intuitive
manner.

Here are some of my thoughts

   1. Present exception or failure to user with eclipse error dialog
      - try to throw CoreException with IStatus object containing
      information about the error, this will be captured by eclipse
and cause an
      error dialog in eclipse
      - If CoreException can't be thrown (eg. due to method signature of
      WTP) and operation is in a Job with a monitor,  a RuntimeException can be
      thrown containing an error message. It will also cause an error dialog in
      eclipse.
      - If operation is not in a Job with a monitor, throwing
      RuntimeException may not be captured by eclipse, so maybe no error dialog
      show. In this case, I think GEP code need to pop up a error
dialog itself,
      without resorting to eclipse.
      2. Meanwhile, log the exception or failure in plug-in log with Trace

Any comments or suggestions? Please feel free to tell us.

Thanks

--
Best Regards,

Delos