Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/10 20:56:15 UTC

[REPORT] ORC Board Report

The mission of ORC is the creation and maintenance of software related to
the
smallest, fastest columnar storage for Hadoop workloads

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache ORC was founded 2015-04-21 (5 years ago)
There are currently 41 committers and 12 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Jesús Camacho Rodríguez on
2019-12-26.
- No new committers. Last addition was Renat Valiullin on 2019-06-19.

## Project Activity:

Recent releases:
    1.5.9 was released on 2020-01-30.
    1.4.5 was released on 2019-12-09.
    1.5.8 was released on 2019-11-25.

We're planning a 1.6 release soon.

There was a talk on ORC Deep Dive that was given internally at Cloudera.
The slides are available here:
https://www.slideshare.net/oom65/orc-deep-dive-2020

## Community Health:

It has been a relatively quiet quarter and the queue of waiting PR's
has built up. We need to spend more time working through the queue
and create some new committers to help.

- dev@orc.apache.org had a 22% decrease in traffic in the past quarter
  (56 emails compared to 71)
- user@orc.apache.org had a 200% increase in traffic in the past quarter
  (15 emails compared to 5)
- 30 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (no change)
- 22 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (no change)
- 55 commits in the past quarter (-34% decrease)
- 14 code contributors in the past quarter (7% increase)
- 34 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (6% increase)
- 29 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (3% increase)

On a personal note, I left Cloudera in early February, took some time
off, and started at LinkedIn in mid-March. I think with more experience
with the ORC code available, it will encourage additional contribution
from LinkedIn.