Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Larry McFarlane <LM...@tconl.com> on 2003/10/25 16:28:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Security

Hello,

Will someone let me know if I'm on the ball here.  I've just reviewed our
production system and don't like what I see.

Apache starts up as root, creates the pid, and switches to the dodo user
that you specify in the httpd.conf file.

An Admin should make sure that all of Apache's files (including your
document root) is owned and grouped by root.

The attributes of the files in document root should have ReadWrite, Read,
Read attributes.  CGI is out of the picture here and isn't relevant.

The reason for this is in case Apache is exploited, Apache won't be able
to go on a rampage because the file system is protected by root.
Apache, now operating as the dodo user will in theory, be denied.

The only reason why I feel you should assign different users/groups to
Apache's directory tree is when the server is a development/staging
server.  You wouuld probably want to do this if you want your developers
access to specific directories/files and not overwrite someone else's
work.  When migrating to production, only a root user should be able to
migrate the changes to ensure that all files maintain root permissions.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Security

Posted by Larry McFarlane <LM...@tconl.com>.
Joshua,

Sorry, I would really just like confirmation that my thinking is correct.

Larry

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.