Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2015/07/31 23:49:49 UTC

[allura:tickets] #7862 Remove AMQP option for taskd

- **private**: Yes --> No

---

** [tickets:#7862] Remove AMQP option for taskd**

**Status:** closed
**Milestone:** unreleased
**Labels:** sf-1
**Created:** Thu Mar 26, 2015 09:50 PM UTC by Dave Brondsema
**Last Updated:** Mon Apr 06, 2015 02:28 PM UTC
**Owner:** Dave Brondsema

The AMQP option for taskd theoretically allows for faster task processing, rather than just using the taskd polling of mongo.  However the AMQP option is off by default, and I know at SourceForge we stopped using it a few years ago due to some issues with it.  I don't think it's necessary, the mongo polling can be fast enough (especially if you have multiple taskd processes running).

There are also occasional problems with the name of `allura/lib/async.py` which houses the connection classes for it.  There is a python package 'async' that the git and gitdb packages rely on (and thus we do, for ForgeGit).  Due to some strange import mechanisms, I have occasionally seen 'import git' not work because when it imports 'async' it would get our `allura/lib/async.py`  Of course this is not correct, and normally doesn't happen.  But today I had that problem with running PyCharm tests on a mac.  And I recall running into it in a different situation previously.  It is hard to debug (particularly because one of the git libraries hides an `ImportError` and uses its own).  It would be good to just completely avoid those potential problems.

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/