Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by bt...@neteverything.com on 2005/04/21 18:15:56 UTC

Re: Selection property of contrib:Palette is null - more info

If I make the "roles" property-spect persistent, and submit the form
twice, on the second time, the roles property has data in it.

It seems like the Palette component doesn't set the selection binding
until after it renders again with the new data.

Could this be the case?

What is the proper method to get the data from within the listener method?

Do I need to get a handle on the component and run getSelection() directly?

Ben

Re: SOLVED Selection property of contrib:Palette is null - more info

Posted by Benjamin Tomasini <bt...@neteverything.com>.
Like it says in the Gotchas of the Wiki, the position of the Submit
button in the form is very important.

It was above the palette, so the values weren't being set in the form
rewind.

Ben

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 15:36, Benjamin Tomasini wrote:
> Some more information about my palette issues.
>
> The property bound to the selected palette parameter is a property
> called roles.  It is null on the first page view.  I select one option
> and submit the form.
>
> The page's form listener does not activate another page, the same page
> is displayed,  during the form submit, the following events correspond
> with the state of selected:
>
> pageBeginRender() - rewinding - roles is null
> formListenerMethod() - roles is null
> pageBeginRender() - page is rendering - roles has a size of 1
>
> What is the normal practice for including the selected data from palette
> in a form?  Should I use another component?
>

> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:15, btomasini@neteverything.com wrote:
> > If I make the "roles" property-spect persistent, and submit the form
> > twice, on the second time, the roles property has data in it.
> >
> > It seems like the Palette component doesn't set the selection binding
> > until after it renders again with the new data.
> >
> > Could this be the case?
> >
> > What is the proper method to get the data from within the listener method?
> >
> > Do I need to get a handle on the component and run getSelection() directly?
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > > I am using a contrib:Palette component whose selection binding is wired to
> > > a property named "roles" in the Page.
> > >
> > > I have the abstract methods created and the property-specifications.
> > >
> > > I have the listener method of the containing form wired to a method that
> > > does pretty much nothing but tell me if the resulting list of roles is
> > > null, or what size it is.
> > >
> > > When I move an item over in the palette (select one), and then submit, the
> > > page comes back showing my selected item in the right hand side.  If I do
> > > an ognl expression on roles.size, it shows one.
> > >
> > > Hoever, inside of the form listener method, the roles list is null.
> > >
> > > What am I missing here?  It seems like a lifecycle method, but I am not
> > > sure.

Benjamin Tomasini
NetEverything, Inc.
1-877-270-1391

Re: Selection property of contrib:Palette is null - more info

Posted by Benjamin Tomasini <bt...@neteverything.com>.
Some more information about my palette issues.

The property bound to the selected palette parameter is a property
called roles.  It is null on the first page view.  I select one option
and submit the form.

The page's form listener does not activate another page, the same page
is displayed,  during the form submit, the following events correspond
with the state of selected:

pageBeginRender() - rewinding - roles is null
formListenerMethod() - roles is null
pageBeginRender() - page is rendering - roles has a size of 1

What is the normal practice for including the selected data from palette
in a form?  Should I use another component?

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:15, btomasini@neteverything.com wrote:
> If I make the "roles" property-spect persistent, and submit the form
> twice, on the second time, the roles property has data in it.
>
> It seems like the Palette component doesn't set the selection binding
> until after it renders again with the new data.
>
> Could this be the case?
>
> What is the proper method to get the data from within the listener method?
>
> Do I need to get a handle on the component and run getSelection() directly?
>
> Ben
>
> > I am using a contrib:Palette component whose selection binding is wired to
> > a property named "roles" in the Page.
> >
> > I have the abstract methods created and the property-specifications.
> >
> > I have the listener method of the containing form wired to a method that
> > does pretty much nothing but tell me if the resulting list of roles is
> > null, or what size it is.
> >
> > When I move an item over in the palette (select one), and then submit, the
> > page comes back showing my selected item in the right hand side.  If I do
> > an ognl expression on roles.size, it shows one.
> >
> > Hoever, inside of the form listener method, the roles list is null.
> >
> > What am I missing here?  It seems like a lifecycle method, but I am not
> > sure.

Benjamin Tomasini
NetEverything, Inc.
1-877-270-1391