Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by gowri k <go...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/08 02:38:44 UTC

svn:ignore

Hi,
This is regarding svn:ignore property. Im  very new to the svn tool. I want
to know if there is a way to set ignore property to load from a property
file in every subdirectory.
I have a project which has lot of sub directories and many different files
to be ignored. Is it possible that I have a file say .svnignore.property
file that lists all the files
to be ignored in that directory.Its very difficult to go to every
subdirectory and manually to load? Im looking for a script that
automatically loads the file list from properties file and set the
svn:ignore property
in every subdirectory. Is it possible through tortoise or subclipse?

Thanks
Gowri

Re: svn:ignore

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 7, 2008, at 9:38 PM, gowri k wrote:

> This is regarding svn:ignore property. Im  very new to the svn
> tool. I want to know if there is a way to set ignore property to
> load from a property file in every subdirectory.
> I have a project which has lot of sub directories and many
> different files to be ignored. Is it possible that I have a file
> say .svnignore.property file that lists all the files
> to be ignored in that directory.Its very difficult to go to every
> subdirectory and manually to load? Im looking for a script that
> automatically loads the file list from properties file and set the
> svn:ignore property

There is of course:

svn propset svn:ignore -F file dir

where "file" is a file containing the value to which you want to set
the svn:ignore property (so, each line of the file would be a pattern
you want to ignore), and "dir" is the directory on which you want the
property set. However, these ignores can only apply directly to
"dir", not to subdirectories of "dir". If you already have a huge
file made with ignore rules spanning an entire tree of directories,
you'll have to write a script to separate these into one file per
directory, and call "svn propset" on each directory, as above.

> in every subdirectory. Is it possible through tortoise or subclipse?

You would have to ask on the TortoiseSVN or subclipse lists whether
their software has such a feature built-in, but I would doubt it.