Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/25 19:17:16 UTC

Java 1.7 for 5.0 ? (was: HttpClient v4.x deprecations)

On 25 September 2014 10:17, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-09-24 at 17:45 -0400, Todd W Lainhart wrote:

>> Also I'm recalling minimum JVM versions for HttpComponents being discussed
>> and polled.  Was it 1.6 or 1.7 that was decided upon for subsequent
>> releases (e.g. 4.4)?  Maybe the poll was for Android only?
>>

> HC 4.4 requires 1.6. The majority of respondents were in favor of
> upgrading straight to 1.7, so 5.0 might be the right time to upgrade to
> 1.7.

There is no point requiring 1.7 for the sake of it.
That will exclude users who cannot upgrade from 1.6

However, if there are new features in 1.7 that make a significant
difference to the HC code, then it is worth considering.

I have yet to see any discussion of the new features in 1.7 which are
a "must-have" as far as HC is concerned.

Re: Java 1.7 for 5.0 ? (was: HttpClient v4.x deprecations)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26 September 2014 01:26, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, by the time 5.0 comes out, the odds are that Java 7 will be EOL
> (April 2015)! ;-)

That is not directly relevant.
Commercial entities tend to be very cautious about upgrading software,
and anyway can pay for extended support.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.