Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2003/09/24 01:50:21 UTC

time to release 1.99_10?

It's been a long time since we have released mp2, I think we should do it now.
I've postponed suggesting this till 5.8.1 is released, but it still didn't
happen two months later (guess what, mp2 was one of the showstoppers, but the
majority of the bugs were in perl ;). I think we should no longer wait for
5.8.1 release, on the opposite releasing it now will let more people to test
mp2 with 5.8.1-tobe which won't otherwise work with 1.99_09 (random hashing).

We have one problem with the recent pool destruction changes on win32, but we
can revert the changes, make a release and then work on putting it back when
it's fixed.

 From running t/SMOKE I get occasional segfaults with no obvious causes and
which aren't so reproducable, I tend to blame the pool destruction changes,
since I didn't have those a few weeks ago (before that change).

One more thing I hoped that will go in is that sticky-configuration in
Apache::Test that Randy was working on, but this can wait I guess.

So unless you have any objections, I'll try to put out a release candidate
tomorrow.

Re: time to release 1.99_10?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ian Holsman wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Young wrote:

> 5.8.1 is out now,
> and it looks like it is running fine with httpd/modperl2 (cvs versions)
> on my OS/X machine.
>
> I haven't done too much testing, but the basic 'hello world' works

Thanks Ian, I'll post a 1.99_10 release candidate in a few minutes (same as
the current cvs).

Re: time to release 1.99_10?

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.

Re: time to release 1.99_10?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> It's been a long time since we have released mp2, I think we should do
>> it now. I've postponed suggesting this till 5.8.1 is released, but it
>> still didn't happen two months later (guess what, mp2 was one of the
>> showstoppers, but the majority of the bugs were in perl ;). I think we
>> should no longer wait for 5.8.1 release, on the opposite releasing it
>> now will let more people to test mp2 with 5.8.1-tobe which won't
>> otherwise work with 1.99_09 (random hashing).
>

> I dunno.  I think waiting for 5.8.1 might be a good thing, so long as
> the time is reasonable.  so, maybe if 5.8.1 will be released in the next
> 2 weeks then we should hold off.
>
> but I don't feel strongly about it.  I'm not really entirely convinced
> of it - just throwing the idea out, really :)

We can always release 1.99_11 two weeks after 1.99_10, really ;)

>> We have one problem with the recent pool destruction changes on win32,
>> but we can revert the changes, make a release and then work on putting
>> it back when it's fixed.
>

> there are always bugs.  this one shouldn't be a showstopper for the next
> release.

+1

>>  From running t/SMOKE I get occasional segfaults with no obvious
>> causes and which aren't so reproducable, I tend to blame the pool
>> destruction changes, since I didn't have those a few weeks ago (before
>> that change).
>

> I haven't seen any problems in a while on my system.  not that that
> means anything ;)

Do you run t/SMOKE? If not, you should as it reveals problems undetected by a
single sequencial run of 'make test'

>> One more thing I hoped that will go in is that sticky-configuration in
>> Apache::Test that Randy was working on, but this can wait I guess.
>

> unrelated, but I think a new CPAN release of Apache-Test is warranted
> soon.  both randy and I have been working on stuff that would be awfully
> nice to have in the next CPAN release.  if we can wrap either/both of
> these up soonish it would make 1.05 valuable.

I'll release Apache 1.04 together with mp-1.99_10, 1.05 can go out the next
day ;) That's another reason I wanted 1.99_10 out - so we don't introduce last
moment problems in Apache::Test, it'd be nice to give them time to polish.

Re: time to release 1.99_10?

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:
> It's been a long time since we have released mp2, I think we should do
> it now. I've postponed suggesting this till 5.8.1 is released, but it
> still didn't happen two months later (guess what, mp2 was one of the
> showstoppers, but the majority of the bugs were in perl ;). I think we
> should no longer wait for 5.8.1 release, on the opposite releasing it
> now will let more people to test mp2 with 5.8.1-tobe which won't
> otherwise work with 1.99_09 (random hashing).

I dunno.  I think waiting for 5.8.1 might be a good thing, so long as the
time is reasonable.  so, maybe if 5.8.1 will be released in the next 2 weeks
then we should hold off.

but I don't feel strongly about it.  I'm not really entirely convinced of it
- just throwing the idea out, really :)

> We have one problem with the recent pool destruction changes on win32,
> but we can revert the changes, make a release and then work on putting
> it back when it's fixed.

there are always bugs.  this one shouldn't be a showstopper for the next
release.

>  From running t/SMOKE I get occasional segfaults with no obvious causes
> and which aren't so reproducable, I tend to blame the pool destruction
> changes, since I didn't have those a few weeks ago (before that change).

I haven't seen any problems in a while on my system.  not that that means
anything ;)

> One more thing I hoped that will go in is that sticky-configuration in
> Apache::Test that Randy was working on, but this can wait I guess.

unrelated, but I think a new CPAN release of Apache-Test is warranted soon.
  both randy and I have been working on stuff that would be awfully nice to
have in the next CPAN release.  if we can wrap either/both of these up
soonish it would make 1.05 valuable.

--Geoff