Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza Naghibi <re...@yahoo.com> on 2013/05/25 18:00:13 UTC

DeviceMap web

Just want to give a status on the my latest contributions. So other than my work priorities, I have been focusing on my presentation for the upcoming VUG (Varnish User Group) in NYC next week. In addition to talking about all things Varnish and dClass, I plan on talking about Apache DeviceMap. So it should be a net positive for the project.

To help showcase my presentation, I made a new project called: webClass. I hope for webClass to be an open sourced and crowd sourced repo of pattern classifiers (think Wikipedia for structured knowledge). Pattern classifiers have a wide range of uses in giving meaning to text, images, video, or any kind of data. How this applies to DeviceMap is that it puts the DeviceMap approach and technology into perspective: DeviceMap is a knowledge domain and is part of a larger knowledge ecosystem. Plus, it has some good use cases for building great websites :]

Here is my webClass demo:  http://rezsoft.org/webclass
Here is a listing of the pattern indexes available: http://www.rezsoft.org/webclass/index (sorry, I got to change all references of OpenDDR to DeviceMap...)
Device detection using DeviceMap and dClass: http://www.rezsoft.org/webclass/class?text=Mozilla%2F5.0+%28Linux%3B+U%3B+Android+4.1.2%3B+el-gr%3B+GT-I9220+Build%2FJZO54K%29+AppleWebKit%2F534.30+%28KHTML%2C+like+Gecko%29+Version%2F4.0+Mobile+Safari%2F534.30&group=devicedetection

So you can see that device detection is just one aspect of a larger classification ecosystem (currently the ecosystem is just a few indexes I put together in the last few days). But like I said before, this puts DeviceMap into perspective: it’s a knowledge domain and it needs a team to keep it relevant. Otherwise you have stale knowledge and stale knowledge has limited use.

So onto my point, after VUG next week, I plan on putting some *serious* focus on our DeviceMap website and the Java API. So thank you for your patience.

Also, if there is any DeviceMap specifics you want me to hit during my presentation, please let me know.

thanks!

Reza