Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2002/10/26 18:15:43 UTC

Re: Forrest uses 'old' version of Ant

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:22:49AM +1100, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> When build dist runs,
>
> "Using Apache Ant version 1.5Beta1 compiled on April 30 2002"
>
> is displayed, even though ant 1.5.1 is installed and operational via
> %ANT_HOME%.

In build.bat:

set OLD_ANT_HOME=%ANT_HOME%
set ANT_HOME=tools\antipede
set ANT_HOME=%OLD_ANT_HOME%

> Other than that, the spaces bugs all appear to have been fixed...

Excellent news, thanks.

--Jeff

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:55:43AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>I like the shbat approach - just like I like the ability to install Ant
>>as a separate app instead of just using the jars.
>>
>>We should come up with a lean & mean executable version of Forrest,
>>depending on Ant already being installed. If what remains of Centipede
>>inside Forrest can't support this, we have some cleanup to do.
>>
>>And if we want to provide a live webapp version for local development,
>>and Tomcat isn't lightweight enough to embed inside Forrest, why not use
>>Jetty?

Ahem, maybe I wasn't clear, that's what I said too.

I agree with what you say, just adding the fact that we should remember
that many users, and many more now that also non-java developers will
use it, want to be able to not have to install anything.

You want to see the Apache site all done in Forrest?

Then we better make it easy as just typing build.sh, and it's not my
suggestion, I'm just forwarding.

> That's just what I'd like to investigate (after the maven plugin).

I'm investigating about using an even smaller server, I'll let you know
ASAP.

> Another consideration: if we don't need to copy from src/documentation/*
> to build/tmp/*, then do we really Ant's capabilities at all?  I don't
> know.. we'll see.

Ok, keep it in mind, I think too that Ant might not be needed for the
simple distro (ie no bot).

[Nicola Ken - mailing from Germany on a GSM 9.6k connection]

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Forrest uses 'old' version of Ant

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:55:43AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> I like the shbat approach - just like I like the ability to install Ant
> as a separate app instead of just using the jars.
>
> We should come up with a lean & mean executable version of Forrest,
> depending on Ant already being installed. If what remains of Centipede
> inside Forrest can't support this, we have some cleanup to do.
>
> And if we want to provide a live webapp version for local development,
> and Tomcat isn't lightweight enough to embed inside Forrest, why not use
> Jetty?

That's just what I'd like to investigate (after the maven plugin).

Another consideration: if we don't need to copy from src/documentation/*
to build/tmp/*, then do we really Ant's capabilities at all?  I don't
know.. we'll see.

--Jeff

Re: Forrest uses 'old' version of Ant

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I'm +1 on the multiple distributions of Forrest.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
[...]

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 04:17:20AM +1100, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote on 27/10/2002 03:48:08 AM:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:46:34AM +1100, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Yep, I know it's in their as I don't have the beta installed, but can
> it
> > > be skipped if Ant 1.5.x is installed?
> >
> > Possibly.. any reason to though?

> 1) I don't need another copy of Ant installed (2 including the cvs
> checkout)

Without multiple copies of Ant, we wouldn't need to buy new hard drives,
and a whole industry would collapse.  Those people have families dammit..
shame on you.

> 2) Mine's more up to date

Doesn't need to be to build Forrest ;P

> 3) It's the beta release and the real thing is out

So they say....

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:46:34AM +1100, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote on 27/10/2002 03:15:43 AM:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:22:49AM +1100, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > > When build dist runs,
> > >
> > > "Using Apache Ant version 1.5Beta1 compiled on April 30 2002"
> > >
> > > is displayed, even though ant 1.5.1 is installed and operational via
> > > %ANT_HOME%.
> >
> > In build.bat:
> >
> > set OLD_ANT_HOME=%ANT_HOME%
> > set ANT_HOME=tools\antipede
> > set ANT_HOME=%OLD_ANT_HOME%
>
> Yep, I know it's in their as I don't have the beta installed, but can it
> be skipped if Ant 1.5.x is installed?

Possibly.. any reason to though?

--Jeff

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
> Developers: http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers

Re: Forrest uses 'old' version of Ant

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote on 27/10/2002 03:15:43 AM:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:22:49AM +1100, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > When build dist runs,
> >
> > "Using Apache Ant version 1.5Beta1 compiled on April 30 2002"
> >
> > is displayed, even though ant 1.5.1 is installed and operational via
> > %ANT_HOME%.
>
> In build.bat:
>
> set OLD_ANT_HOME=%ANT_HOME%
> set ANT_HOME=tools\antipede
> set ANT_HOME=%OLD_ANT_HOME%

Yep, I know it's in their as I don't have the beta installed, but can it
be skipped if Ant 1.5.x is installed?

> > Other than that, the spaces bugs all appear to have been fixed...
>
> Excellent news, thanks.
Well....see the next emails :(