Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@pearson.com> on 2006/02/03 16:24:15 UTC

[tiles] question on tiles functionality

I was looking at the examples at
http://struts.apache.org/struts-tiles/examples.html
<http://struts.apache.org/struts-tiles/examples.html>  and I didn't really
see a good example of what I was looking for.

I'm doing something like this for every page:

file: somepage.jsp

<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-tiles" prefix="tiles" %>

<tiles:insert template="layout.jsp">

  <tiles:put name="title"  value="This is the title." />

  <tiles:put name="header" value="header.jsp" />

  <tiles:put name="body"   direct="true" >

        <!-- Page Content Goes Here -->

  </tiles:put>

  <tiles:put name="footer" value"footer.jsp"/>

</tiles:insert>

However this seems kind of repetitive since the only thing that changes from
page to page is the title and body and would like to do something like this:

file: WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml

< tiles:definition name="templateDefinition" path="/layout.jsp">

  <tiles:put name="title"  value="This is the title." />

  <tiles:put name="header" value="header.jsp" />

  <tiles:put name="body"   value="body.jsp" />

  <tiles:put name="footer" value"footer.jsp"/>

</definition>

file: somepage.jsp

<%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-tiles" prefix="tiles" %>

<tiles:definition name="thisPage" extends="templateDefinition">

        <tiles:put name="title" value="This Pages Overriden Title"/>

        <tiles:put name="body">

               <!-- Page Content Goes Here -->

        </tiles:put>

</tile:definition>