Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mark Nienberg <gm...@tippingmar.com> on 2006/12/12 02:07:06 UTC

questions about this list

In the welcome message that I received when I subscribed to this list it says:

    <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
    <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>

But the info address returns an error message and the faq address says there are no faqs.

The welcome message also says:

users-owner@spamassassin.apache.org. Please be patient, my owner is a
lot slower than I am  ;-)

But a message I sent to that address bounced with this error:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.
<ms...@gmx.net>:
213.165.64.100 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.1 {mx101} The recipient does not accept mails from
'tippingmar.com' over foreign mailservers.
550-5.7.1 According to the domain's SPF record your host '140.211.11.2' is not a
designated sender.
550 5.7.1 ( http://www.gmx.net/serverrules )
Giving up on 213.165.64.100.

which is pretty funny because it means the spamassassin mailserver is not correctly
rewriting the domain when it forwards so it is failing SPF checks.

At any rate, could someone please answer this question:

How can I stop mail delivery from the list and still stay subscribed?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: questions about this list

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
Maurice Lucas wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 19:51 -0600, René Berber wrote:
>> Mark Nienberg wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> At any rate, could someone please answer this question:
>>>
>>> How can I stop mail delivery from the list and still stay subscribed?
>> No dice ;-)  I tried the same you are doing, since I read the newsgroup using
>> Gmane, and what I found out (very easily) is that this list uses ezmlm, and that
>> piece of ... doesn't have that functionality, in fact has very little
>> functionality (compared to Mailman).
>
> A late reply to this thread and I don't know if this works for this list
> but have it a try.
>
> http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman2.html

It seems to work, thanks!

In short:

2. Use the "allow" feature, sending a message to
users-allow-subscribe-your.user=your.domain@...
--
René Berber

Re: questions about this list

Posted by Maurice Lucas <ms...@taos-it.nl>.
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 19:51 -0600, René Berber wrote:
> Mark Nienberg wrote:
>
> > In the welcome message that I received when I subscribed to this list it
> > says:
> >
> > Send mail to the following for info and FAQ for this list:
> >    <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
> >    <us...@spamassassin.apache.org>
>
> Useless addresses, I also tried.
>
> [snip]
> > But a message I sent to that address bounced with this error:
>
> That, I didn't try...
>
> [snip]
> > At any rate, could someone please answer this question:
> >
> > How can I stop mail delivery from the list and still stay subscribed?
>
> No dice ;-)  I tried the same you are doing, since I read the newsgroup using
> Gmane, and what I found out (very easily) is that this list uses ezmlm, and that
> piece of ... doesn't have that functionality, in fact has very little
> functionality (compared to Mailman).

A late reply to this thread and I don't know if this works for this list
but have it a try.

http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman/ezman2.html

2.4 Adding subscriber aliases(*).

ezmlm lists may be set up to only allow subscribers to send messages to
the list. This is less secure than moderation, but still keeps most
``garbage'' off the list. Occasionally, a user may wish to send messages
from an address other than the subscription address. As a remote
administrator, you can add the user's alias to a special ``allow''
database. To add john@example.net as an alias to the
and other commands work the same way. The messages ezmlm sends talk
about the mailinglist-allow@example.org mailing list, but of course you
know that this is just a figure of speech.

On lists that do not have subscription moderation, users can add
themselves to the ``allow'' database in the same way. This is documented
only briefly in the USER'S manual.

Archive access may also be restricted to subscribers. Like subscribers
of the list or the digest list, addresses in the ``allow'' database are
allowed to access the archive.

--
With kind regards,

Maurice Lucas
TAOS-IT

Re: questions about this list

Posted by Mark Nienberg <gm...@tippingmar.com>.
René Berber wrote:

> No dice ;-)  I tried the same you are doing, since I read the newsgroup using
> Gmane, and what I found out (very easily) is that this list uses ezmlm, and that
> piece of ... doesn't have that functionality, in fact has very little
> functionality (compared to Mailman).

Oh, I saw the name ezmlm, didn't recognize it as the software on which the list runs.
  I see what you mean, they recommend unsubscribing to temporarily stop receiving
mail.  I too use the gmane interface, and unsubscribing would prevent me from
posting.  Guess I could divert incoming msgs to trash or /dev/null or something.
Thanks for your help.

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.