Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Dondorp, Erwin" <er...@cgi.com> on 2021/08/23 01:08:52 UTC

SSL error as of artemis 2.18.0

Hello!

Since Artemis 2.18.0, the broker-broker connections (for clustering) refuse to connect due to "Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: No name matching [hostname] found". I did not try any client connections yet, so these might just have the same problem.
My setup is the simplest possible SSL with self-signed certificates since it is a development system.
While looking through the release notes (and zooming in on some of the Jira issues), I did not quickly spot a change that would cause this.
I did not have this problem when using the snapshot versions of 2.18.0, but the last version I actually checked was apache-artemis-2.18.0-20210730.150450-205-bin.tar.gz.
So the question is: what was actually changed? (or is broken? can't believe that).

thx,
Erwin

Re: SSL error as of artemis 2.18.0

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
The first bit is slightly more nuanced meaning there is another
possibility (which is what actually occurred in ARTEMIS-3421), so I
would state it a little differently:

Change the hostname value that is being connected to in the broker
config, so it can match against the existing certificate offered, or
change the certificate (e.g adding appropriate subject alternative
names) so that it can match whatever hostname value is being connected
to. If not those then you would need to consider verifyHost=false
(<obligatory warning here>) to permit the mismatch.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
Just to follow up...

I updated the upgrade instructions for 2.18.0 [1] to make this more clear.

Justin

[1]
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/versions.html#2180

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Well, I didnt create it so much as update the description to repurpose
it rather than simply close it hehe.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dondorp, Erwin" <er...@cgi.com>.
Justin,