Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/06/18 20:53:41 UTC

ALv2 is not on just software

The TL;DR: The ALv2 can be applied to any kind of (literary) work, and it covers more than source code.

 - Dennis

THE FYI DECONSTRUCTION

I recall someone indicating that documentation is not covered by the ALv2 on a compilation including it because documents are not software.  I don't know where I saw that, but it might be in the lengthy thread about Groovy or the business about Creative Commons licenses.

I just put the ALv2 boilerplate notice on several text files in a GitHub project of mine, including:

 " Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
 " you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
 " You may obtain a copy of the License at
 "
 "     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Note that the license notice applies to the individual files in this case.  (This is not at an Apache Project, so this is the proper form of notice.)

What struck me is the disclaimer, which I also included out of habit, although the files I am creating are text documents, not software as such.  Note that the disclaimer is specific to software, although its presence is benign.  However, it does not limit the scope of the ALv2, it just limits the scope of the disclaimer:

  "  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
  "  distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
  "  WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
  "  See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
  "  limitations under the License.

I included it out of habit.  It is still valuable, because the "See the License ..." portion remains applicable and useful.

I note that the license definitions of "Source" and "Work" make the comprehensiveness of the license very clear.

I am making this observation because there appear to be some who think that it is only source-code that matters with respect to licenses and their categories under ASF Principles for IP handling.

ABOUT CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSES

The Creative Commons licenses can be applied to software of course, even though the CC folk demure about that, apparently because it is politic to do so.

The bigger problem with CC licenses is that they do not cover patents (not much of an issue for documentation) and they are not entirely permissive.

The permissive-limitation issue arises in the Creative Commons requirement for prominent disclosure of the location of freely-obtainable originals when (re-) distributions employ DRM technology or other technical means for preventing copies and redistribution by a recipient.  This applies even to CC-by, so it is essentially a stronger attribution requirement than what ALv2 imposes.

Oddly enough, my explicit CC-by attribution requirement includes providing a link to the definitive original that is being redistributed or for which a derivative is developed.  That is, my CC-by licensing includes there being a traceable provenance.  When I use ALv2, as I did today, I foreswear that requirement, although I do follow the practice in my attribution clauses and I recommend such a practice to others.