Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Ca...@sherwin.com on 2006/12/24 04:19:21 UTC

Build problem on HPUX-11, Itanium processor

We need to build Xerces-C version 1.6 on an HP-UX 11, Itanium machine.
After
several attempts, all of the code seemed to be built. But, when the linker
is attempting
to create the library, there are numerous "unsatisifed symbol" errors.
They
all appear to be for methods which are in classes that reside in the
$XERCESROOT/src/util directory.  However, none of the files which seem to
be resulting in
unsatisfied symbols are built when the util directory is built. All of the
.cpp files in that directory are built, and the
.o(s) are copied to the lib/HPUX directory. But none of the .c extension
files are built.
And those are all the classes that appear to be causing the unsatisfied
symbols when attempting
to create the xerces lib. For example, the first unsatisfied symbol is for
RefVectorOf
class. The RefVectorOf.C file is not built into a .o when the make runs on
the util directory.

I've been working on this for a few days with no luck. I've read through
many
threads on the archive. But, I haven't been able to get passed this
problem.

Can anybody help??

C compiler: gcc
C++       : g++
HPUX-11
ia64

I have cut/pasted in output from the make. I did not paste in the entire
make
output which is a couple thousand line....

Building /users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/lib/libxerces-c1_6_0.sl
g++ -D_HP_UX -DXERCES_TMPLSINC -DHPUX11
-I/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_
6_0/include  -o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/lib/libxerces-c1_6_0.sl
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/ASCIIRangeFactory.o
/users/hear
s/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/AbstractNumericFacetValidator.o
/users/hea
rs/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/AbstractNumericValidator.o
/users/hears/m
qmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/AbstractStringValidator.o
/users/hears/mqmadm
in/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/AllContentModel.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-s
rc1_6_0/obj/HPUX/AnySimpleTypeDatatypeValidator.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c
-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/AnyURIDatatypeValidator.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1
X/XMLWin1252Transcoder.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/XPathM
atcher.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/XPathMatcherStack.o /u
sers/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/XPathSymbols.o
/users/hears/mqmad
min/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/XUtil.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/o
bj/HPUX/XercesAttGroupInfo.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/Xe
rcesElementWildcard.o
/users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/XercesGro
upInfo.o /users/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/XercesXPath.o
/users/h
ears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/YearDatatypeValidator.o
/users/hears/mq
madmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/YearMonthDatatypeValidator.o
/users/hears/mqma
dmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/sax2Dummy.o    -lpthread -lnsl

ld: Unsatisfied symbol "RefVectorOf<Token>::size() const" in file
/users/hears/m
qmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/UnionToken.o
ld: Unsatisfied symbol "RefHashTableOf<XMLRefInfo>::get(void const*)" in
file /u
sers/hears/mqmadmin/xerces-c-src1_6_0/obj/HPUX/DTDValidator.o

Carl

AW: Build problem on HPUX-11, Itanium processor

Posted by Martin Harm <Ma...@cimt-ag.de>.
Hi,

I tried to build a xerces-2.7.0 on HPUX-11, with a g++ (4.x??) .. and I didn't manage to get a working shared lib (multi unresolved externals, maybe a problem with the linker), but we got a static lib!!!

Apply the attached mini-patches to a fresh src-tree and try:

1.)Build the lib

cd  xerces-c-src_2_7_0
export XERCESCROOT=`pwd`
cd $XERCESCROOT/src/xercesc
./runConfigure -php-11 -cgcc -xg++
gmake clean
gmake
## in $XERCESCROOT/lib there should be the libxerces-c.a
ls -l $XERCESCROOT/lib/libxerces-c.a

2.) Test a little
cd  xerces-c-src_2_7_0
export XERCESCROOT=`pwd`
cd $XERCESCROOT/samples
./runConfigure -php-11 -cgcc -xg++
cd SAXPrint
gmake -B
## should exist now: $XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXPrint
ls -l $XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXPrint
ldd $XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXPrint
$XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXPrint $XERCESCROOT/samples/data/personal.xml
##
cd $XERCESCROOT/samples
cd SAXCount
gmake -B
## should exist now: $XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXCount
ls -l $XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXCount
ldd $XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXCount
$XERCESCROOT/bin/SAXCount $XERCESCROOT/samples/data/personal.xml
## result should be like:
## ..personal.xml: 1 ms (37 elems, 12 attrs, 134 spaces, 134 chars)

ciao
martin

Re: Build problem on HPUX-11, Itanium processor

Posted by Ivan Pechorin <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Carl.D.Cyrus@sherwin.com wrote:
> Would you be able to send me a copy of your updated config.guess ?

We just fetched latest versions of config.guess and config.sub from
the following URLs:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.guess
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/config/config/config.sub

Best regards,
Ivan Pechorin

Re: Build problem on HPUX-11, Itanium processor

Posted by Ca...@sherwin.com.
Ivan -

Would you be able to send me a copy of your updated config.guess ?

Carl Cyrus
Sherwin Williams
Consumer IT Integration Team

"Ivan Pechorin" <iv...@gmail.com>
12/27/2006 06:49 AM
Please respond to
c-users@xerces.apache.org

c-users@xerces.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Build problem on HPUX-11, Itanium processor

Hi!

Carl.D.Cyrus@sherwin.com wrote:

> We need to build Xerces-C version 1.6 on an HP-UX 11, Itanium machine.

We use Xerces-C++ 1.7 on IA-64, HP-UX 11i v2 (11.23).
Script config.guess required update to configure 1.7 successfully on
HPUX/IA-64.

Best regards, Ivan

Re: Build problem on HPUX-11, Itanium processor

Posted by Ivan Pechorin <iv...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Carl.D.Cyrus@sherwin.com writes:

> --=_alternative 001241498525724E_=
>
> We need to build Xerces-C version 1.6 on an HP-UX 11, Itanium machine.

1.6 is a really old version of Xerces-C++. I don't think IA-64 existed
when it was released. You may want to consider upgrading to Xerces-C++
2.7.0.

> After
> several attempts, all of the code seemed to be built. But, when the linker
> is attempting
> to create the library, there are numerous "unsatisifed symbol" errors.
> They
> all appear to be for methods which are in classes that reside in the
> $XERCESROOT/src/util directory.  However, none of the files which seem to
> be resulting in
> unsatisfied symbols are built when the util directory is built. All of the
> .cpp files in that directory are built, and the
> .o(s) are copied to the lib/HPUX directory. But none of the .c extension
> files are built.

The .C files (at least in 2.7.0) contain template definitions and
are normally included in the corresponding header files. One reason
you could get those unresolved symbols is when the .C files are
actually not included, for example, because of a missing preprocessor
definition. The XERCES_TMPLSINC define in the command line you provided
look relevant.

hth,
-boris

--