Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ryan Wexler <ry...@iridiumsuite.com> on 2012/02/29 21:10:34 UTC

using build profiles for WAR plugin

I am trying to create different WAR builds using profiles for my different
production sites.  Each site requires different configuration files.  I
think I am confused on how to use build profiles.

My plan was this:
1)Create a base configuration for the war plugin that includes my basic
configuration:

<build>
.
.
.
            <plugin>
                <version>2.2</version>
                <configuration>
                    <webResources>
                        <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/conf/server</directory>
                            <includes>
                                <include>log4j.xml</include>
                            </includes>
                            <targetPath>WEB-INF/classes</targetPath>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/reports</directory>
                            <targetPath>WEB-INF/reports</targetPath>
                        </resource>
                        <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/baseconf</directory>
                            <targetPath>WEB-INF</targetPath>
                        </resource>
                    </webResources>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

2)Now I need to add the special configuration for each production site so I
create a profile with each with additional configuration files:

<profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>site1</id>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>2.2</version>
                        <configuration>
                            <webResources>
                                <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/conf/server/production-site-1</directory>
                                    <targetPath>WEB-INF</targetPath>
                                </resource>
                            </webResources>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
        <profile>
            <id>site2</id>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <version>2.2</version>
                        <configuration>
                            <webResources>
                                <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/conf/server/production-site-2</directory>
                                    <targetPath>WEB-INF</targetPath>
                                </resource>
                            </webResources>
                        </configuration>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
    </profiles>

3)mvn clean install war:war -o -Psite1

This doesn't work.  The war file gets built with the base configuratio
files but the special configuration items in the profile don't get moved
over.

The output actually says it is copying those files over but I dont' see
them.  I wonder if they then get deleted?

My understanding was that the profile would add additional resources to
those already configured in the base build.  Is that behavior incorrect?

Do I need to redo the entire webResources section in the profile?

thanks
-ryan

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Do not touch profiles until you have your build working without them.

As near as I can tell from the traffic here, they are intrinsically evil
and should only be used in very specific situations.
They are not used for "normal" software projects.
They are not suitable for new Maven users.
They will lead you down the path to Maven hell and cause you no end of
heartache.

Ron

On 01/03/2012 1:30 PM, offbyone wrote:
> I appreciate the feedback, but I am struggling to follow, clearly I don't
> understand "the maven way".
>
> I am new to maven, based on the documentation and the specification it seems
> like profiles are used to create different versions of a deployment package.
> Why would profiles be there if not for that purpose?
>
> More importantly, why would maven have such a rich properties and resource
> filtering feature set if the maven way is to externalize all this
> information?
>
> Maven is suppose to be a build tool, but you are telling me I shouldn't put
> build configuration data in it.  It seems like you guys are saying only to
> use the dependency management/repository aspect of it.
>
> Would love some clarification.
> thanks

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I am happy to contribute in the forum and I have some blog items at
blog.artifact-software.com/tech that might help but you would be much
better served by Wayne or Stephen as they are true experts.

At http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html you get a list of the team
members who work on Maven and they are both in the list.

In our use of Spring, we used JNDI to separate deployment from
development and used the Jetspeed portal framework which separated the
look and feel customization from our code which gave us a different
problem in generating our WAR files.

We broke our application into about 70 projects with code that made JARs
or WARs and 10-12 JAR projects with just dependencies (Apache utilities,
Spring-MySQL-Hibernate-Tomcat, JasperReports, CXF, etc...) that we
loaded into Tomcat's shared library to get them out of the WARs. Our WAR
files only had our code in them with the Spring and JSF configuration files.

We were building for an SaaS so we had more permanent servers for
production and test so the JNDI solution worked well.

Thanks for the offer. I am pleased that we are able to help.

Ron

Posted by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin [maven-eclipse-plugin]

Posted by Ivalo <iv...@iki.fi>.
My day job company is assosiate member of Eclipse so of course Eclipse
is tool to use.

Markku

Posted by Ivalo <iv...@iki.fi>.
My day job company is associate member of Eclipse so of course Eclipse

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Markku Saarela <ma...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Our releases do not have any configuration files in artifact's, instead
> manifest classpaths has directory name to point directory that has those
> files. We use separate build to assembly different configurations into
> different environments putting configurations in place.
>
> I like to use Eclipse ability to hot deploy modifications of code into
> server while debugging development trunk code.
>
> So what you say and my experience it is impossible to use multi-module
> project imported with project references for developing software with hot
> deployment and also unit testing without having profiles to set resource
> directories for Eclipse unit testing and deploying into server.

There is nothing stopping you creating an extra level of abstraction,
i.e. "<mymodule>-unittests"
You move all your unit tests out of the original module "<mymodule>"
and into "<mymodule>-unittests".
Obviously "<mymodule>-unittests" would depend on "<mymodule>"

That way you can run unit tests, but you would only ever deploy
"<mymodule>", with no way to pollute with unit tests.

p.s. Given Eclipse is open source, if this was a defect that you
*really* cared about, you should provide a patch.

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin [maven-eclipse-plugin]

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@iki.fi>.
Our releases do not have any configuration files in artifact's, instead
manifest classpaths has directory name to point directory that has those
files. We use separate build to assembly different configurations into
different environments putting configurations in place.

I like to use Eclipse ability to hot deploy modifications of code into
server while debugging development trunk code.

So what you say and my experience it is impossible to use multi-module
project imported with project references for developing software with
hot deployment and also unit testing without having profiles to set
resource directories for Eclipse unit testing and deploying into server.

It's not so convenient to go outside IDE to deploy artifact into server
in order to debug / test modifications made.

Markku

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@pp6.inet.fi>.
Hi,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@pp6.inet.fi>.
Hi,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> One thing that also caught me off guard is it appears that I have to
> reference the clienta-war and clientb-war as modules in my main project
> pom.  Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. If a project is not a module (directly as
children or as grandchildren etc) of the project you are executing
Maven from, then Maven does not "see" it as far as this specific build
is concerned and will not build it.

> Well this data is essentially a directory of jasper files.  The same group
> of files is used in several modules.  How do you install a directory of
> files as an artifact?

It sounds like they are essentially static resources that simply must
be bundled into one or more war files. First I would make sure there
is no possibility to just include them in your war in a jar file and
tell JasperReports to find them in my classpath, then use a regular
<dependency> to include them in my wars where I need to use them.
Otherwise I would probably just stick them into their own project (a
"jar" type alongside the "lib" module I suggested before) and then use
dependency:unpack to put them where I need them in the various wars.

Wayne

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Ryan Wexler <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1)I keep getting this error in reference to the generic-war project:
> >        'packaging' with value 'war' is invalid. Aggregator projects
> > require 'pom' as packaging.
> > I tried to changing it to pom but that doesn't seem right.  Is an
> > Aggregator any project with sub modules?
>
> Read my post again. You should have a top parent of type pom that has
> modules. Those modules are subdirectories under the parent (with the
> same directory name as the module) and those modules are typed jar,
> war, etc.

Now it seems to work!  Still got a long way to go but that is a big step
forward.  thx.

I think the problem was that I was referencing clienta-war and clientb-war
as modules from generic-war.  Another problem I had was that I wasn't using
the "type" property in the dependency tag so it was looking for
generic-war.jar.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.
I am working on implementing your recommended layout.  I am experiencing
some problems.

1)I keep getting this error in reference to the generic-war project:
        'packaging' with value 'war' is invalid. Aggregator projects
require 'pom' as packaging.
I tried to changing it to pom but that doesn't seem right.  Is an
Aggregator any project with sub modules?

If I do change it to a pom then I get this error:
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project clienta-war: Could not resolve
dependencies for project myproject:clienta-war:war:8.1.1: Failure to find
com.myproject:generic-war:jar:8.1.1 in http://repo1.maven.org/maven2

Now it seems to be looking for a jar file.

2)In my war configuration, I try to access a resource that is already
declared in the "lib" module.

                        <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/reports</directory>
                            <targetPath>WEB-INF/reports</targetPath>
                        </resource>

I assume the issue is that ${basedir} now refers to my current location.
How do I access this resource that is two layers up?
Do I manually reference the directory?
Or should I be making this resource an artifact somehow?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.
Really struggling here and could use some help with these overlays.  I seem
to be missing basic concepts or maybe I am just slow, sorry if these
questions are pedestrian.

So I am trying to produce an overlay to add the extra configuration for each
of my server deployments.

I have my main project which is a package pom type.  It has dependencies, a
compiler plugin and a war plugin.  Essentially:

project directory layout
/pom.xml
..src/main/java
..src/main/webapp
..src/main/reports

<project>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
    <artifactId>myartifact</artifactId>
    <version>8.1.1</version>
    <name>my project</name>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <version>2.2</version>
                <configuration>
                    <source>1.6</source>
                    <target>1.6</target>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

            <plugin>
                <version>2.2</version>
                <configuration>
                    <webResources>
                        <resource>

<directory>${basedir}/src/main/reports</directory>
                            <targetPath>WEB-INF/reports</targetPath>
                        </resource>
                    </webResources>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
    </build>
    <dependencies>
        .
	.
	.
    </dependencies>
</project>

I can compile and execute the war task to create the war.  It of course is
missing my per server files.  I presume this is correct so far, but please
let me know if I am already blowing it.

Then I have my other projects for each server:

project directory layout
/pom.xml
..src/main/java
..src/main/webapp
..src/main/reports

..server/server1
..server/server1/pom.xml
..server/server1/src/main/webapp

..server/server2
..server/server2/pom.xml
..server/server3/src/main/webapp

..server/server3
..server/server3/pom.xml
..server/server3/src/main/webapp

Each of these poms looks like this(clearly something is wrong):
<project>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <parent> //??? Am I suppose to be referencing the main project as a
parent?
	    <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
	    <artifactId>myartifact</artifactId>
	    <version>8.1.1</version>
    </parent>
    <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
    <artifactId>server1</artifactId>
    <version>8.1.1</version>
    <packaging>war</packaging>

    <dependencies>
    <dependency>  //???Am I suppose to be referencing the main project as a
dependency here?
	    <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
	    <artifactId>myartifact</artifactId>
	    <version>8.1.1</version>
    </dependency>
    </dependencies>

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <version>2.2</version>
                <configuration>
                    <overlays>
                        <overlay>
			    <groupId>com.myproject</groupId>
			    <artifactId>myartifact</artifactId>
                        </overlay>
                    </overlays>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

</project>

I get some dependency error that I don't understand.  I am unclear as to the
relationship of the two projects.
Does the main project reference the overlay or vice versa?

Do I need to set a dependency in the overlay to the other project or vice
versa?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
This is not a unique situation.
Many people here use Spring and most people have to generate different
WAR files.
One way is to have a set of maven JAR projects that contain all the code
and a set of WAR projects that depend on your JARS and contain the
Spring configuration files that are specific to each customer.

Each WAR file will have all of the right code with the right
configuration files and will build nicely with very simple pom files
that are easy to maintain.

Once you get this working, you can automate the maintenance of the WAR
projects to handle new releases.

This will work and you will have your setup done and working in an hour
or less.

It will also work for each new release of Maven and you will be able to
get support here easily since this is the Maven way and we all know how
to do this.

Ron

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
On Thu, March 1, 2012 11:19 am, Wayne Fay wrote:
>> There are many deployments of my application on different systems and
>> each
>> one has a different look and feel configuration file.  So, I was
>> planning to
>> have a different maven profile for each deployment and have the profile
>> automatically push the correct LookAndFeel.xml into the war archive.
>>
>> So specifically how do I accomplish this this in maven without using
>> profiles?
>
> Multimodules + WAR overlays = each will have its own GAV and no profiles

Completely agree. You can even do that with externally provided war files
that you customize..

manfred

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Otaegui <fe...@gmail.com>.
I think a much better solution than relying on the build tool (maven
profiles or on war overlays) is to use environment variables and bundle all
the LookAndFeel.xml in your war

I would use spring 3.1 and use the environment profiles feature.

http://blog.springsource.com/2011/02/11/spring-framework-3-1-m1-released/

http://blog.wookets.com/2011/11/spring-31-environment-profile.html

Regards

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM, offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com> wrote:

> Ok, I hear you, profiles are evil.  BUT I still don't understand the
> alternative so let me give a specific and tangible example and maybe you
> can
> explain a specific alternative.
>
> I am currently deploying my product in a tomcat/linux environment as a war
> file.  My webapp is driven by a set of spring configuration files using the
> Spring context loader.  For example, one of those spring configuration
> files
> is called LookAndFeel.xml.  It sets attributes like colors of the user
> interface.  I love using this type of configuration driven design because
> it
> lets me swap out the entire look and feel just by changing a config file.
>
> There are many deployments of my application on different systems and each
> one has a different look and feel configuration file.  So, I was planning
> have a different maven profile for each deployment and have the profile
> automatically push the correct LookAndFeel.xml into the war archive.
>
> So specifically how do I accomplish this this in maven without using
> profiles?

Any sufficiently recent Microsoft OS contains an ad hoc,
informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Unix.

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:16:34AM -0800, offbyone wrote:
> Ok, I hear you, profiles are evil.  BUT I still don't understand the
> alternative so let me give a specific and tangible example and maybe you can
> explain a specific alternative.
>
> I am currently deploying my product in a tomcat/linux environment as a war
> file.  My webapp is driven by a set of spring configuration files using the
> Spring context loader.  For example, one of those spring configuration files
> is called LookAndFeel.xml.  It sets attributes like colors of the user
> interface.  I love using this type of configuration driven design because it
> lets me swap out the entire look and feel just by changing a config file.
>
> There are many deployments of my application on different systems and each
> one has a different look and feel configuration file.  So, I was planning to
> have a different maven profile for each deployment and have the profile
> automatically push the correct LookAndFeel.xml into the war archive.
>
> So specifically how do I accomplish this this in maven without using
> profiles?

Better you don't.

Should I assume that LookAndFeel.xml is something that you design for
the customer, rather than (as I first thought) something the customer
is supposed to customize on-site?  Then the problem is that you are
using Maven as a packaging tool.  That's not what it is; it's a build
tool.  Packaging is a different stage.

You could keep a copy of deployment X's LookAndFeel with your other
records for deployment X, or keep them all in one directory.  Yank
the custom values out of a database, or write a wizard to step someone
through the customization process, and create a LookAndFeel on the fly
with e.g. XSL-T when you are packaging your generic Maven-built
artifacts for deployment X.

The point is that customization is not part of the product; it's part
of the deployment.  Maven builds your product.  You need something
else for deployment.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
  -- Maslow

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I am new to maven, based on the documentation and the specification it seems
> like profiles are used to create different versions of a deployment package.
> Why would profiles be there if not for that purpose?

Opinions have changed on this point through the years. Maven is
opinionated software.

Modern QA best practices demand that the development team deliver an
artifact to QA and that same unchanged artifact is then delivered to
UAT and Production.

By creating environment- or server-specific artifacts, you are
introducing the possibility of errors into this process. There is a
chance that Maven did something wrong (javac failed, bits got flipped
in your ram since you're not using ECC, etc) when constructing the
PROD artifact but built DEV and QA just fine. You would have no idea
that you are about to deploy a horribly corrupted artifact to PROD
until it was done and your "five nines SLA" is suddenly in trouble.
This defeats the entire purpose of QA.

> Maven is suppose to be a build tool, but you are telling me I shouldn't put
> build configuration data in it.  It seems like you guys are saying only to
> use the dependency management/repository aspect of it.

Build configuration -- yes.

Server-specific runtime configuration which locks a particular
artifact so it only runs without modifications in one environment --
no.

Some people include "all" runtime configurations in one package and
then use a variety of techniques to tell their code which
configuration to load at runtime. There are other ways of doing the
same general thing, you are free to pick one which seems the most
reasonable to you.

Profiles for this purpose are nearly always the WRONG answer. Make
your build work WITHOUT profiles.

Wayne

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Sebastian Otaegui <fe...@gmail.com>.
One of the uses of profiles is to have different maven runtime
configurations for running different plugin configurations based on them.

See these examples
https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-as/blob/master/pom.xml
https://github.com/jboss/jboss-parent-pom/blob/master/pom.xml

If you still insist on doing what you are saying one option is to do a
multimodule project.

like this:

- top level (parent pom where you define your modules)
          ---------  your "vanilla" war (your "real" webapp)
          ---------  your "qa" war
          ---------  your "prod" war

both the "qa" and "prod" war are built using the maven-war-plugin with the
overlay feature.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/war-overlay.html

The people that maintains CAS (JASIG) are using that methodology.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.
Thanks for the reply.

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Am 29.02.2012 22:33 schrieb "offbyone" <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>:

> I have no interest in using JNDI.

You certainly don't need to. Pick any mechanism you like to configure your
application according to the needs of your runtime environment, as long as
you do it by configuration at *runtime* (not compile time).

Would Microsoft sell a " Windows 7 for networks having their DNS server at
192.168.1.1" and bake this information into win32.sys on  their product
DVDs? Certainly not. They sell "Windows 7" and let you configure the DNS
server address at runtime.

If you really want to create stage specific rollout artifacts using maven,
that's also okay, but it's best handled as different modules. Each module
would include the common artifacts like jars etc. and put it into a zip
file or rpm or whatever you like, and ultimately add the stage-specific
configuration *data* which is later used by the application.

>  Could someone please address my question
> regarding profiles?

Maven profiles are intended to be used to make your build working in
different *build* contexts. Examples: use host xy as repository manager
when building at work, use abc when at home.

Don't use them to differentiate between different *runtime* environments of
the application you are building. Keep your artifacts independent of
application configuration as far as possible.

Just my 0.02€

Best

Ansgar

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.
I am trying to understand how profiles work.  I don't want to use classifiers
for this as this has nothing to do with my environment which is identical
but rather my deployment needs.

Could someone please explain what I am missing about profiles?

Re: using build profiles for WAR plugin

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Read the thread I posted... JNDI is not the only solution. Profiles is
*NOT* the solution

Posted by offbyone <ry...@iridiumsuite.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> I am trying to create different WAR builds using profiles for my different
> production sites.  Each site requires different configuration files.  I
> think I am confused on how to use build profiles.

Don't do this. Build a WAR file that can be deployed on any server and
will run properly with no changes. Use JNDI, System properties, WAR
App server parameters/configuration, or another system to externalize
those system configuration differences.

Read Stephen Connolly's post from about 10hrs ago in this recent
thread on this mailing list for more options and discussion -- How to
deploy with 'classifier'

Wayne